Chapter Eighteen- Oscar

"he looks like shit" Rafael leans in, whispering into my ear when we enter Luca's residence.

I nod in agreement; he does look like a man haunted. I shrug my shoulder, shaking the feelings I had when I knew Gemma was taken off.

Giovanni and Marco seem deep in conversation off in the corner, so I gesture for Rafael to join them while I approach Luca.

"any update?" I sit down beside him and look around at this operation he has set up. He does have many soldiers and techs working different screens and intel.

"Yes," he replies with dark energy and barely leashed anger," Yvan called; he wants a deal."

"what deal would he possibly want?" I give him a doubtful look; I honestly don't understand what deal can be made other than the start of the war. "I never heard of a deal done this way."

"you were right.. Luciano was in bed with them for a long time, it seems... now that he is out, they feel slighted and want what they had with him" His anger is palatable, but he is doing a good job leashing it.

"you can always bluff, agree, and once you have her safe, kill them."

He looks at me with a glint of disgust "that is not an honorable action."

I shrug my shoulder "who cares?"

He shakes his head, gritting his teeth. "I cannot back off once I give my word" he then regards me with cold scrutiny "would you go back on your word?"

I smirk in understanding; he is measuring me up "that is so old school ... but if a man is stupid enough to believe promises made through blackmail, that is on them."

He keeps his gaze on me for a few minutes, then releases, "that won't work within the famiglia code."

"the famiglia really needs to step into the new century ... start with upgrading your code."

That is the difference between Luca and me, he believes in being an honorable criminal while I believe in honoring the crimes I commit, and if someone is stupid enough to fuck with my family, they better be ready for the crimes loaded train coming their way.

"Whatever you decide... the Cartel will help" I stand up to leave him

"We can handle our business ... but thanks for coming," Luca says to me,

I nod in understanding and motion to Rafael that is it time to leave.

I get to the car and decide to check on Gemma while waiting for Rafael

I text her, and she does not reply ... damn it, I asked her to keep her phone close by. I dial Arturo next, furious at this lack of concern for her own safety

"all good?" I ask the minute the line picks up

"yes.. boss man... your women are safe here and having fun," he replies teasingly.

"Ana is there?" that explains it. Whenever Ana is around, Gemma is very attentive to her. I like that, and I hate that.

"yes.. she just came in... any news on your end?"

"Nothing really.. it seems Yvan is trying to make a deal."

"that is stupid." he snorts.

"same thought, brother," I smirk" they don't need or want our help."

"whatever works for them," he adds.

"Okay ... will be back shortly" I end the conversation

"Oscar," he stops me, "shit timing, I know ... but I need a favor."