The man stopped awkwardly and scratched the back of his neck. Maria took a deep breath and nodded in understanding and almost yelped when the man's hand trusted out in front of her suddenly and his smile grow wider. "by the way," he said cheerfully. "I'm Diego. Diego Morales."

"Maria Alvarez." smiled Maria and shook his hand. "Glad to meet you."

"Okay, now that we have that out of way, let's go to business." said Diego and clapped his hands, and then pointed to the bag Jade had brought. "There are warm clothes for you in that bag. Wear one before we go out that is freezing as hell. Then I should escort you to the boss's office."

Maria nodded and opened the bag and found a coat, a gray cardigan, and a few blouses and other clothes, like shirts, pants, and even undergarments, all of them her size. She chose the gray cardigan and put it on top of her shirt. She turned and saw Diego looking at her with an unreadable expression on her face. She tilted her head puzzled looking back at him.

"You know, about what Jade said." began Diego. "Yesterday, boss held a meeting for us and explained everything about the situation and you." he paused for a second and put a hand gently on her shoulder while looking down at her softly. 

"I just want you to know, not all of us think the way Jade thinks." he continued. "Some of us still do not trust you completely, but they trust boss and his decisions and they certainly don't hate you. And some like me, know that you are innocent and already accept you among us. So don't feel bad please."

Maria felt warmth spread through her body at hearing his sincere words. It was fantastic to know people trusted her. She smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Diego." she said softly. "I promise to never shatter your trust."

"That's great." said Deigo and smiled again. "Okay, now let's go before it gets late."

He turned on his heels and walked out followed by Maria. They took the familiar route to Mason's office and Maria tried to hold a friendly conversation after a day of silence.

"So, you are Brazillian." she stated.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked with a smile.

"Just a lucky gusse." shrugged Maria. 

"I always knew girls have a thing for us Brazillian guys." smirked Diego and side glanced at her playfully. "I won't tell anyone you think I'm hot, hon."

"Don't flatter yourself." said Maria and rolled her eyes but they both began to laugh after that.

They fell into silence after that for a moment, before Maria asked the question that had occupied her mind. "Diego." she said and Diego hummed in response. "Who ordered you to give me the clothes?"

Diego glanced at her with an unreadable face before looking forward again. "It was the underboss, Ben Williams." he said.

"Oh." was all Maria said. She tried to keep her straight face but a small smile graced her lips. But it didn't last long.

A minute later they reached the corridor of Mason's office and Maria instantly frowned at the sight in front of her. Ben had stood in front of the double doors, smirking down at Jade who was talking quietly with him while twirling her hair around her finger.

Ben was clad in dark dress pants and a navy blue dress shirt. He looked casual with his hands in his pockets like he was talking to a friend, but Maria didn't like how close they had stood and how Jade was looking at Ben.

But she quickly snapped out of her state. It was none of her business what he does and who he would talk to. He was no one to her except the one who had saved her and her sister. But still, she couldn't help a sting of jealously that surged through her heart. He was the one who had saved her and cared enough to send her warm clothes and she felt oddly safe around him.