VIII

Arabella felt heavy as if sinking into a vat of honey, only instead of golden liquid, it was dark and cold full of pins and needles. Sinking into her pores, tangling into dark locks, it suffocated her, the numbness leeching any good feeling away.

There was a faint sound through all the thickness, her name. It echoed as if struggling to reach her until their eyes sprung open with a gasp desperate to gather air back into her lungs.

          "There's my Ells," Fred whispered so quietly Arabella almost didn't hear him. He leaned over her, his hair covering his face from the others as they made eye contact. His usual smile replaced the thin line that had formed on his star-kissed face. His tone suddenly changed as he lifted his head to look at all the others, "She's awake!"

          Arabella's head was lying on Fred's lap, her eyes trying to focus on her surroundings. She was still on the train, the lights were on and they were moving once more. As she turned her head, Harry was hoisted up to his seat by Hermione and Ron his glasses askew on his flushed face. Things were slowly coming back as she suddenly felt the panic, quickly looking for the hooded figure her breathing picked up grey eyes filled with fear. Fred noticed her stiffen, immediately looking down as the girls flew into a full-on panic attack.

"Ellie? Are you okay?" Her ears rang things were becoming muffled again as she frantically searched for the darkness. "Ells?!"

          "Stop the screaming!" Arabella cried once again, hands reaching for her ears before her eyes rolled to the back of her head as it once again went quiet.

                                                                                             ⬖⬘⬗⬙

           When Arabella finally came to she had been moved, no longer in her friend's compartment, or even on the train but in the infirmary. The faint smell of medicine wafted her way as she shifted to lean up on her elbow. Taking a quick glance around she noticed a person sitting to her left, it was dark enough for her to not be able to make out their features immediately. She had no recollection of how long it's been a day, hours, or weeks, but whispering pulled her back.

          "It was a dementor, Poppy," Professor McGonagall, she'd be able to identify that voice anywhere.

          "Setting dementors around a school," a mutter responded, "Potter and Silvercrest won't be the last ones who collapse. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate —"

          "Now Poppy, I'd hardly compare that girl delicate, especially with what she's been through. The poor thing ran away from home before the term, horrid relatives they are. If only Adira could see what shame the Vembulons have brought to this family. Turning in her grave that one." Her voice wavered at the last sentence, "A wonderful woman lost all too soon. Please do alert me if anything changes drastically." Clearing her throat, Arabella could hear the shifting of robes as McGonagall left. The approaching footsteps made the young girl swiftly lay back down, pulling up the blanket she had just settled as the curtain surrounding her bed pulled back to reveal Madame Pomfrey, a candle floating near her head producing light.

          "Good evening dear. Quite a bump on the head you acquired on the train. But no worries a quick little remedy and you'll be all set to go." She handed a vile to the girl motioning for her to drink. As the contents passed her lips she was met with a bitter taste, and something familiar. Her face scrunched up as she swallowed disgusted. 

"Oh, worse than Potter. Healing doesn't always taste good." She waved her hand as if shooing the girl. "But it'll make that concussion of yours vanish in a wink of an eye. I do recommend staying on bed rest for the rest of the evening but you may go back to your dorm." Madame Pomfrey turned to leave with a smile, "Oh, and take that one with you. Such dedication these days." She mumbled the last part before departing.