vingt-quatre

She hadn't expected to feel sad when Adelaide vanished among the crowd. Their goodbye was short and quick as they had waited for the very last moment to bid farewell. The Slytherin wasn't a fan of how Adelaide seemed to grow on her, but it was nice to have someone around. She was much like an older sibling, and often she'd find herself missing Cetus a little less because of it. Not that she'd ever forget her brother, but the ache subsided.

Turning toward the library Arabella didn't get even a step in before Gael grabbed her by the shoulder, snarling something in her ear. Arabella flinched at the close contact. Her nails bit into the palms of her hands as her cousin spoke. Composure.  

     "Don't think I've turned a blind eye cousin. Careful now or your little friend Dover might have a terrible accident." Gael tightened her grip making the young girl's stoic expression falter slightly, the pain making her gasp. By now it was just them, or so she thought. 

     Soon the busy sound of students vanished and they corraled outside to the train. She had waited. "How wonderful not to have such pathetic company during the holidays. Poor little Cetus left all alone. Just like you. Alllll alone." she spit, Gael's eyes burned. And they burned with hatred, murky eyes as clouded as the black lack stared upon the girl.

"Happy Holidays Cousin." she shoved the brunette to the floor laughing as she walked away. Arabella stayed there momentarily, before gathering herself and vanishing quickly from sight. 

     His chest tightened and for a second he didn't think that he'd be able to control his anger. But then something clicked. It's as if the whole world suddenly made sense. Why she left so suddenly without an explanation, how she seemed to vanish off the face of the earth. It was all because of her. The girl with the dull blue eyes and moppy brown hair. 

Once the holidays had started, Fred couldn't stop pacing. He had told no one of what he saw, nor did he attempt to approach her again. He felt guilty. Guilty for having hated her for a split moment when she was simply afraid. Hiding. It was a surprise that the floor beneath him didn't give way. It wasn't until he heard her name fall from someone's lips did his attention snapped back into reality. 

     "I heard Arabella stayed back for the holidays. Maybe you can catch her during dinner. It's nearly time." Ron spoke watching as his chess piece moved. Fred's eyes locked onto the black-haired boy watching as he downcasted his eyes, his ears reddening. "But then again maybe it isn't worth it. I don't think she's you know, interested?" He's so nonchalant about it.

     "It is. I won't give up. She needs help."

     "And what do you mean by that?" Ron looked up from their game his head tilting slightly. His lips pressed into a thin line.

     "I-I don't know. I just have this feeling that she's in trouble." his movement was subtle but Fred caught it. Harry had reached for his scar before settling his hand upon the nape of his neck. 

     "So far you haven't led us astray. Kinda. Who knows, maybe you know who gave you magic powers, almost like that Muggle Hero Man Spider."

     "Don't be ridiculous Ron." Harry rolled his eyes before rising. "Come on, let's head to dinner. Oh, Fred. Would you like to join us?" his green gaze finally settled on the older boy. 

     "I-um, sure." he reluctantly agreed. But he had a plan, so his venture out of Gryffindor Tower would be worth it. 

Dear boy with a red cheek,      

     Why would you do that? What were you even thinking?! I understand that Fred initiated the whole situation but, you made me. I wasn't ready I, why? She has eyes everywhere. Harry, I don't think I can fix this...I'm so sorry. 

The girl who doesn't know what to do