ꜱɪxᴛʏ - ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

𝗦he ran through the halls of the hospital, stopping for no one as she raced to get where she was needed

𝗦he ran through the halls of the hospital, stopping for no one as she raced to get where she was needed. When she rounded the corner to the ICU wing, she finally slowed her pace. It didn't take her long to find Emmet and Beau. He was standing up with his hand in his hair, pulling at it and looking away; his son was sitting on the bench, gazing forward with the eeriest expression on his face.

"Emmet," she breathed, reaching their side.

She was already informed of what happened on the phone; there was so much L.A. traffic; it took her much too long to arrive here. Hearing the news without being there to comfort them, and then getting here late was already putting a strain on them. She could see it.

Beau hadn't made a single joke since noticing her.

"Rayne," he turned and faced her, "Thank you for coming."

"Of course. How can I help?"

He shot a sad look to his son, "He won't speak."

Rayne glanced at him too. His small hands were buried in the fabric of his pants; he was gripping them so tightly his knuckles were turning white. His normally happy face was pale and ghostly and if she looked hard enough, she could see the tremble in his bottom lip.

She nodded to Emmet and sat down on the seat next to him. She moved her hand gently over to his, placing it over his. She expected him to move it away, to disregard her comfort, but much to her surprise, he opened up his palm and accepted her touch.

"Hey little man," she said gently, "Do you want to talk?"

He leaned his head on her shoulder and shook it.

"Okay, that's okay. Is there something you want to do?"

"To see my Mom."

Rayne looked up at Emmet, "Is that possible," she mouthed.

"I don't know," he answered, "I'll go find out."

"Your Dad is going to check," she reported to Beau as he walked by.

It seemed like the moment he was around the corner and out of sight, his walls finally tore to the ground, too tired to try and keep them up. Sobs racked his boyish body as he flung his arms around her waist and rested his wet cheeks in her lap.

Rayne swallowed hard, biting back her emotions in reaction to him; she ran her hands through his long, black hair, trying to comfort him in any way as he cried against her.

"It's okay, Beau."

"It's not!" he yelled; his pre – pubescent voice came out squeaky, "It's never going to be okay! My Mom is going to die! I'll never be able to hear her speak to me. She's never going to hide in a pillow fort with me and bake me cookies to take to school! She's not gonna wake me up with a kiss on the cheek anymore – and I wish I never told her to stop now!"