ꜰɪꜰᴛʏ - ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

"𝗜 just don't understand why I can't come?" Rayne pouted at him

He let out a small laugh and cupped the underside of her chin, tilting her face – and that childish expression – up closer to him. He leaned down and softly grazed her lip.

"Because I don't want you getting hurt."

"I can get hurt anywhere," she whined.

"Yes, I know," he mumbled against her lips, "Please don't remind me."

Rayne grabbed his wrist and tugged it off, separating them, "I can handle my own. I won't be a handicap to you – let me come. I want to help."

"No," he said flatly, "You're undertrained and immature on the battlefield. You've never been in this position before and you would get yourself killed. You'd also be a huge distraction to the team because they all know of your inexperience."

She scowled at him and backed up a step, crossing her arms across her chest as she leaned on the trunk of her car. She wouldn't make eye contact with him now, and he let out a breath. It wasn't his intention to be rude to her, but ripping the band aid off now instead of letting her pretend she was at their level was the best possible option. It would go to her head and would most definitely convince her to run into a situation that she couldn't handle, despite all of her training before meeting him.

"My love," he breathed, attempting to grab her hand.

Rayne just flicked her wrist, getting his touch away from her.

Rueben threw his head back and looked at the sky, understanding that he should have used better words. Hearing something like that from him after the up and downs they've already been through probably made her feel small again.

Not like it was his intention.

This time he stepped forward and grabbed her face, ignoring her pleas and her hands on his chest pushing him back. He kept his touch gentle as he softened his face and rejoined her vision.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the words I chose. I just want you to acknowledge that running into an abandoned building in the middle of a large city that you're unfamiliar with, with dangerous ex – mafia men is not an ideal situation for someone who hasn't had the training the rest of us have."

Rayne's eyes began to warm up the more he talked.

"—you're an incredibly strong woman. Mentally and physically. You are more powerful than the average man based on your training. But please recall when we first met – you didn't consider yourself to be grouped in with me because the way we were taught is completely different. I know that you have killed before, and while I didn't agree with it, it was your right to do it. Taking more lives of people you don't know will hurt you, sweetheart."

"Why do you get to do it and I can't?" her lips twitched into a frown.

"Because I've been doing it since I was twelve."