2

(Chapter 2)Den

(Chapter 2)
Den

~*~
Author POV

"Would you mind if I brought a friend along to tonight's meal?" Namjoon inquired.

He had come down from treating the chimera patient, the centaur was shifting his hind legs a lot. He was nervous to ask. 

"Of course, any friend of yours is welcome" Jimin smiled, Namjoon grinned back.

He pushed back the long braided hair from his eyes, his legs shifted to a stop. His nerves calmed.

"May I ask your friend's species, that way I can cater to them for their meal?" Jimin asked.

"He is a Canis auritus" Namjoon responded.

Jimin racked his brain for his memory of what Canis auritus were again. It had been so long since he served one of them. Canis auritus were half dog, half man. They preferred bloody meat, they were lethal hunters, that ran fast enough to hunt down almost any prey they wanted. Their name meant 'Dog eared' in the ancient tongue, supposedly when the species was first discovered they were feral and the dog ears on top of their head was a notable feature, hence the name. 

"Have they got a name?" Jimin inquired.

"Jungkook" Namjoon replied.

"I'll make a note of it, will he want to stay for the night? The rooms are booking up fast" Jimin asked.

"Yes, if you can" Namjoon responded.

"I'll make a reservation then" Jimin scribbled down the message for the staff working on the desk. That way they could anticipate his arrival.

An Canis auritus would want a den like room, sharp cave walls around and some soft blankets to lie upon, like a cave but with internal warmth instead of the biting cold of outside. He made a note of that too underneath Jungkook's name and species.

The centaur disappeared, his hooves clattering against the floor in a regular four legged rhythm. Probably heading to craft more potions, centaurs are well know across the land for their desire for knowledge, they study the stars and the land around them with great fascination. Namjoon often told Jimin stories and history from the stars during their meals together, Jimin was always interested to learn more and Namjoon appreciated an eager learner.

~*~

It was late in the evening when a Canis auritus arrived, he was tall but seemed to fumble around. The ears on top of his head were swaying side to side as he listened intently to his surroundings. Trying to assess the safety of the residence, deeming it good enough he made his way across to the counter where Jimin was patiently waiting. 

"Hi, are you Jungkook by any chance?" Jimin inquired.

The Canis auritus shy nodded his head. His tears flicking and twitching, it was almost the same indicator of nervousness that Namjoon had displayed when asking if Jungkook could join their meal.

"Well Namjoon had me book a room in advance for you. I booked out a den room for you, are you ok with that?" Jimin looked up from the booking sheet. 

"Den room?" Jungkook tilted his head to the side like a dog would when confused.

"The den rooms mimic that of a cave outside but with soft linings and blankets for comfort." Jimin explained to the confused Canis auritus.

Jungkook's ears and tail that had been motionless started to move in excitement at the idea of the room.

"Yes, Jungkook want den room" Jungkook nodded.

"3 gold pieces please" Jimin smiled, Jungkook dug around in his money pouch, he lifted them looking confused, Jimin nodded when he pulled the correct money out. So Jungkook pushed the money across the counter.

"Thank you, this is your key, you are in room 440. Namjoon is in room 983 if you wish to pay him a visit" Jimin handed over the key, Jungkook was careful of the talons like claws on his hand, not wanting to harm the human.

Jungkook nodded and thanked him with his lisp, before bounding off like an excitable puppy. So it was a surprise to say the least when he reappeared around the corner. 

"Is there something wrong?" Jimin asked confused.

"I don't know how to read, Jungkook outside" Jimin's mind lit up.

Canis auritus are a species people can view as less evolved, they tend to prefer to stay out in the wilderness, they travel where their food goes, never staying in one place for long. They tend to avoid people and society to live in their packs, or as solitary creatures. So without an education outside of pack life it was obvious that Jungkook would have been nervous entering the inn and unable to read as well.

"Would you like me to show you to your room and then take you to see Namjoon?" Jimin asked, he didn't say it in a patronizing way, but more as an invite. Jungkook seemed to like that so he nodded. 

Jimin called to Anker to come and mind the inn front while he helped Jungkook. The elf nodded and came to stand behind the counter. Jimin rounded the counter and headed to Jungkook's side, the Canis auritus was far taller than him, a head and a bit taller to be precise. 

~*~

"Did you have to travel far to get here?" Jimin made conversation as they walked.

Jungkook's answers were often short, not to be blunt but because he was evidently one of the solitary travelling Canis auritus. So holding a conversation was not his strong point. 

They made it to the 4th floor, Jungkook was distrustful of the pulley system, it was a mechanism designed to pull them up to the floor they were on, but you had to crank a wheel on the inside to get up. There was a worker in the pulley system that would turn it for you, but some creatures were still wary of it. Children tended to love it, wearing out the worker with chants of 'again'. 

Jimin walked him along to his room. Jungkook was buzzing with excitement at the idea of a den. When Jungkook turned the lock for the door, he entered, pulling Jimin with him. The human allowed it.

The room had a standard roof for the entrance, but the den rooms were designed that they would turn a corner. Around the corner had a low roof, like a cave would or a burrow. That was the den aspect. The room had been designed to sate the primal instincts of burrowing or den creatures. The den corner allowed the Alpha or lead of a pack to have their family in, while they slept in the entrance, able to protect them like they would in the wild.

Jungkook looked at him with such happiness in his eyes at the den, that Jimin was reminded why he had the inn the way it was. Jungkook bounded over from the den area, in his excitement he dropped his head and brought his cheek across the human's head, scenting him.

But the action only made Jimin smile, because Jungkook must truly feel safe with him. Scenting was only for close pack members, friends and family. That thought made the human grin.

~*~

Jungkook's species is based off hybrids, but I created the name and the background for them.

Would you visit Jimin's inn?

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter