XLVIII

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
A Year Later

"You think I'd look good pregnant?" I ask Moonshine.

"Here we go, just gone head and get pregnant. You want this baby so damn bad." She smacks her teeth.

"Yea but ion think I'd be a good mom, not everybody meant to have kids." I shrug.

"I still don't think you need a baby but you have been clean for like 8 months and your business just blew up. You successful and a lot more mature sober. And you grown, that's your decision." She tells me.

"D prolly don't want a baby with me anyways." I sigh.

"He practically ready to wife you up, fuck you mean?" She glances off the road to look at me crazy.

"That ont mean nun." I wave her off.

Me and D been an official couple for like 2 months. It would've been 3 but we kinda restarted the relationship due to a situationship so the first month don't even count fr.

"Guhl where you going?" I look back where our destination was.

"To the party." She shrugs.

"The party was back there." I point out the window.

"Why would you wait til I missed the exit to tell me that?" She asks.

"Ion backseat drive, I thought you knew where you was going." I shrug.

We bicker for a minute before she drops me off at Carter's house for Isaiah's first birthday.

"Bye thank you sis!" I yell getting out.

"Heyy." I hug Carter, walking in.

"Hey cuz, youan have to bring nun." He looks at my gift.

"I know but still..." We walk to the backyard.

"Dey grillin outchere, getchu a plate." He walks off.

"Uncle Michael." I smile.

"Lil guhl ian seen you in faheva." He hugs me with one arm while holding a beer in the other.

I love me sum DeMichael, he grill his ass off. His kids, D's cousins do not fwm but at least he do.

He flips a burger on the grill and I watch intently.

"Dang that look good." I lick my lips.

"Shole do." He puts cheese on them.

"Cedes." D comes behind me and hugs me.

"Aw shit, my bad." He refers to the beer he was drinking.

"Ion even like beer, you good." I make a stank face.

"When the food gone be done?" He asks his uncle while pouring his drink in the grass.

"I'm finna put the burgers down right na. Them hotdogs almost done too." Michael answers.

D puts 2 plates with bottom buns on em in front of him. Michael puts 2 cheeseburgers on top.

We put ketchup and mustard then the top buns on before sitting down to eat.

"You know where Jabriah and Isaiah is?" I ask him.

"She getting him ready, you know he a handful already." He laughs.

"Babe..." I start.

"What's up?" He says bitting into his burger.

"Nun... I was just wondering... Nevermind." I sigh.