XIII

Dequavince Demaro Harris
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Thank you cuh." I admire the gold hookah Carter bought me.

"That's the last of em." Mercedes clears up the table.

I thank everyone and go sit with my favorite cousin.

"Ay cuz." I sit down next to him.

"Wassgud. You and sis still not together yet?" He asks.

"Nah you know ion believe in that shit." I shake my head.

"You gotta lock that in before another nigga do." He says.

"I really fuck wit ha so ion know, maybe." I shrug.

"But uh I'm finna head out." He stands up.

"Word?"

"Yea, my girl pregnant. I can't be away from ha too long, you know." He stretches.

An Hour Later

"Nah she tweakin." I shake my head.

We slowly started to inch closer to his car every couple conversations.

He was now in the car with one leg out, the door open and the car still off.

"I know so I told her either you gone cut him off or Imma cut you off."

"You damn right." I nod in agreement.

"But uh Imma hit you up later tho cuz." He puts his leg in the car before closing the door.

"Yea yea yea fasho." I get off the hood of his car.

I head back towards the restaurant as he starts his car. He pulls out of his spot and drives up to the sidewalk. He rolls down his window and I go to his car to see what's up.

"Wait, you talk to Cookie'nem!" He asks.

"Naw, why, what happened?" I lean over his window.

He gives me look and shakes his head.

"Cookie momma house got shot up. His niece was over there and she in the hospital, she got shot in the arm." He sighs.

"Aw shit, they find who did it?" I ask.

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
An Hour Later

"This nigga been talkin fa two damn hours. Fuck is they out there running they mouths about?" I bang my head against the table.

I den talked and mingled with everyone, took my sisters home, ate a meal and sum cake, went home to shit, drove back, ate sum more, drunk more, ran his gifts to his house, drove back, and FaceTimed Moonshine.

This nigga still ain't done.

I check my phone and it's touching 1 am. I go outside and walk up to him.

"You gotta check it out, they shoes bomb as hell." D says leaning against the car.

They lil bond is cute. They can go months without speaking but once they do, they wasn't gone stop... like these niggas could literally talk fa hoursssss.

"Hey y'all." I smile.

"You shouldn't be outhea it's cold." D mumbles, wrapping his arms around me so I don't freeze.

"Ay sis you still do makeup right? I seen you on Instagram, you blowing up!" Carter says proudly.

"Yup." I rub my lips together to fix my lip gloss.