XIV

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The Next Day

"And we fucked like rabbits girl." I gossip to Moonshine.

"You better hope you not pregnant." She makes a wide eyed face.

"I got a Paraguard IUD in that got 9 mo years left in it. Miss me with that shit." I laugh.

After the first time I got pregnant, I learned from my mistakes. Prevention is more effective than curation.

"Damn, you not playing." She scratches her neck.

"How's ya step sister'n nem?" I ask her.

"Biiiiiitchhhhh." She drags.

"What?"

"Tell me why I go to get me a piece of burger and see dat hoe standing around Burger King begging people fa money with her son on her hip?" She says boiling hot water in a pot.

"I almost feel bad but she was tryna holla at her step sister's nigga so I can't really." I shrug.

"He curved her so quick but still. I know she never liked me but to try and talk to someone she KNOW I'm talking to." She rolls her eyes and drops a slab of ramen in the water.

"Yea she's weird. I hope she get her life together cuz ion wish bad on nobody... but she's a dirty bitch." I shrug.

"Me neither, I might've gave her a hundred dollar bill. Ion like seeing the bitch struggling specially not her baby you know?" She shakes her head.

"You better than me cuz I wudda thrown sum pennies at ha broke ass. Yea I'm bout to go real quick tho." I mumble the first part.

"Aight."

"Remember the block party tonight. Don't stand me up guhl." I get up and hug her.

"I guess. Bye, love youuu." She drags.

"Love you more, see you later." I pick up my purse and walk out.

I sit my phone in my lap and FaceTime D. It rings out so I roll my eyes.

"He prolly busy." I sigh.

I FaceTime Antwon and he answers. I start the car and drive away.

"Hey sexy whatchu doing?" He asks in his bed.

"I'm driving around, ain't really got nun to do." I shrug.

I lean back in my seat, holding the phone and using my knees to steer with.

"Bet, come over hea. We ain't even gotta do nun, we could just chill." He says.

"Mmm, send me yo address."

"Bet." He starts typing.

"You want sumn to eat while I'm out and about?" I ask.

"Yea, whats over there?"

"McDonald's, Burger King, Popeyes, Dairy Queen." I list off.

"Sum chicken sound real good right about nie." He says.

"Okay, imma go inside. I'll text you when I pull up." I hang up and pull into the Popeyes parking lot.

...

"Hey." He opens the door for me.

He gives me a side hug and lets me in. He closes the door and leads me to the couch.

"Oh hea yo food go. Lemme separate it." I take everything out of the bag.

"Glooks." He takes his box and I nod.