XII

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Aw shit." He cheesed.

The roof was covered in blue & gold balloons, plus his name and decorations encrusted in pure gold all over the walls.

"Thank you mamas." He kisses my forehead repeatedly, giving me butterflies.

The party consists of his closest loved ones:

His friends MilkyWay, Middle Man, and Glue Stick. I hear them on his phone but never met them.

His siblings DeAndre and Dereyna, his mama Demenah, my sisters. His favorite cousin Carter and me.

The only people he truly fuck with.

A table was set up only for gifts and the caterer made all his favorite foods.

"Dey got crab legs?" He rushes over to the food making me shake my head laughing.

"Thank you fa setting this whole thing up." His mom come up to me and gave me a warm hug.

"Of course Menah." I pull away.

She's not always sweet to me but I suppose she's in a good mood. Her demeanor shifts around me time to time.

Sometimes she calls me her daughter in law and other times I'm one of D's hoes. I'm just gone enjoy her kindness while it lasts.

I go fix myself a plate of crawfish, corn, baked potatoes, and pour myself a glass of Red Rum.

I go sit at a random table and get to eating. Soon D sits down next to me.

"I can't believe you did allis, thank you forreal." He says smiling.

"You deserve it. Na feed me sum corn." I hand him my corn on the cob.

"Childish." He mumbles holding it up to my mouth.

I gnaw a column and he turns it for me to eat more.

Suddenly my sisters walk up. I braided they hair up and bought them cute lil dresses.

"Happy birthday D!" They cheesed.

"Thank you. Y'all look beautiful." He smiles.

"I mean you ain't lie. I might just cop me another boyfriend looking like this." Keke shook her cornrows that were past her butt.

"I'll kill that nigga, lil guhl." He mugs her.

"Mane I can't have nun." She rolls her eyes.

I adore how he treat my sisters. Like they his too, and even when we not talkin he check up on them.

"Who braided y'all hair that long?" He squints at them.

"Her." Toya pointed at me.

"Tareaca gone beat cho ass." He mugs me.

"She gone beat the black off of me too I fear" I nod, sighing.

Don't stop till you get enough played on the speakers as his mama was playing DJ.

They ran off to dance. They loveeee MJ. I think everybody was obsessed with him as a kid.

"Bae." I say.

"Huh?" He finishes my corn for me.

"You think Michael Jackson is still alive?" I ask.

"Nah, he wouldn't fake his death."

"I think he did. He was smart, he knew they were gonna kill him. And the story is iffy to me, he prolly somewhere in Cuba living low-key." I respond.

"You prolly riii." He nods.