XVI

Mercedes April Porter
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"I hope you fucking die."

The last words I said to him replay in my mind as I sit in the waiting room of the hospital.

Not even an hour after our fight I got a call from the hospital telling me he was shot twice in his chest.

He prolly went on a drill with his headspace fucked up cuz on my dumbass.

"Oh my God what happened!" His mom cries coming through the door.

Dereyna and DeAngelo follow after her. They all see me and head straight to me.

I was the first one here. I ran about 6 red lights which I'll prolly face fines for but it's worth it.

"Why the hell is she even here?" Dereyna says under her breath.

"Say it with yo fucking chest Dereyna." I mug her, she just rolls her eyes and folds her arms.

I'm sick of her shit. I've tried to keep the peace for years out of guilt of what I did. All the sneak dissing and disrespect on the sly. But I'm tired, emotional, and kinda high right now.

"What happened to my son?" She asks me.

"I don't know, they called me saying he was shot then I called you right after. They have to remove both bullets and it's late so it's going to be an overnight surgery." I explain.

She sighs and sits down on the chair across from me. Chunky send Dereyna sit next to her.

I curl up on the seat, putting my knees up to my chest inside my hoodie to keep warm.

6 Hours Later

It's damn there 4 am and they still not done yet. I didn't think it'd take this long take to remove 2 bullets. I've been on my phone and drinking coffee to avoid dozing off.

I get up and stretch before searching for a nurse. The least they could do is keep me updated.

"Scuse me." I stop the black lady with braids who was passing us in the hallway.

"Is Dequavince almost out of surgery?" I ask.

"Oh they're finishing up. The surgeon is going to come out and tell you when he's done." She smiles.

"Okay, thanks." I sigh before sitting back down.

"What'd she say?" Dereyna asks while looking at her phone.

"He almost done." I tap my foot against the tile.

DeAngelo left because he had school this morning. He didn't wanna leave but Menah made him to keep to his attendence streak. She was sleeping in her chair.

"Family of Dequavince Harris?" The surgeon asks as he walks out of D's room.

We stand up and Dereyna wakes up her momma.

"He's up but he's not conscious since he's still under anesthesia but one of you can go in now." He explains before walking off.

"I-I can't see my son like that." Menah breaks down crying.

"It's okay Menah. I'll go in." I rub her back.

"Nah I'll go. That's my brother." Reyna stands up.

"Could you stay here and comfort her? Imma only be a minute." I sigh.

"His family should go in first. You're not even his girlfriend so..." She makes a 😗 face.

"I gotta pee, I'll be back Menah." I rush to the bathroom as Reyna walks to his room.

My eyes water but I quickly fan my tears away. He's not here to defend me and we aren't dating either way so she really isn't wrong.

"Ugh." I groan.

My tears start to fall faster than I can wipe. I run the sink water to wash my face off.

I fix my makeup real quick then head back to the waiting room. Menah is still crying so I hug her.

"Aight I'm done. Momma you wanna go in?" Reyna asks.

"I guess." She stands up and takes her tissues with her.

"How is he?" I ask her.

"He's fine." She says with a passive aggressive voice.

"I didn't want to stress Menah out more by cussing out her daughter in front of her. So now, lemme know what the problem is." I cross my legs and put my hands together on my lap.

"My family barely even like you. You made my brother miserable. You shouldn't even have the right to be here right now, you den prolly hurt him more than any of them bullets he just took." She explains.

"Girl I don't give a muthafuck whatchu or nobody think. I'm here because I love him, not to fucking spite you." I roll my eyes.

"You asked what the problem is, there it is. It's you." She shrugs.

"You always had a fucking hatred for me what the fuck did I even do to you!?" I shout.

"You've caused nothing but drama for him, he should've stuck with Montana!" She gets loud too.

"Our relationship is non of yo damn concern! You're not fucking him, I am, so shut the fuck up about it, bitch!" I yell back.

The receptionist shoots us a warning glare as other people in the lobby sneak glances at us.

"You're not the only one fucking him tho, if he really cared about you he wouldn't still be fucking my best friend." She laughs.

"Fuck you and yo ugly ass best friend. Montana is a delusional ass hoe anyway."

"Stop speaking on my best friend." She says, irritated.

"Fuck you and Montana." I shrug.

"Come outside." She ties her hair up.

"Your brother is in the hospital and you thinking about getting yo ass beat?" I look at her stupidly.

"Pussy ass." She laughs, sitting back down.

"Only thing pussy is you sneak dissing me on yo story and talking bad bout me in the streets but not keeping the same energy in person." I say.

Before she could respond a tearful Menah comes out of the room and points for me to go in. She walks out the hospital and Dereyna follows after her.

"Damn..." I mumble walking into his room.

His unconscious body is relaxed on the hospital bed. His head propped up on a pillow and tubes running fluids through his body to bring up his vitals.

"Who the fuck did this to him?" I whisper with tears welding in my eyes.

Whoever shot him up a walking dead man. His friends said they gang already handling it.

I walk up to him and plant a soft kiss on his forehead.

The nurse comes back in to check his vitals.

"Is he gonna wake up soon?" I ask.

"Oh yes. He's not in a coma right now, he's heavily asleep. After the surgery his body needs a lot of rest so he'll be asleep for up to 24 hours." She explains.

"Can I stay here overnight?"

"Sure, it's gonna be good for him to have someone around when he wakes up anyways."

"Mkay." I sit down on the chair next to his bed.

I cancel one of my bookings for tomorrow n try to go to sleep.

For some reasons these hospitals so fucking cold all the damn time. Like they tryna give you pneumonia assum.

I pull my hoodie off and drape it over myself.