"'Daddy's Little Girl'?"she wondered aloud. 

"What's wrong with that?" her father chuckled, as they began to sway to the music.

"Nothing." She replied. "It's just that 'Daddy's Little Girl' is usually reserved for weddings."

"Well, your my little girl." Her father told her. "Does it really matter when we dance to it?"

Amanda just shook her head and smiled. "No, of course not. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful. This party is amazing. It's just that so much has happened in the last couple of months. You know the accident, and Uncle Robert going away, and then I wonder if someone might take advantage of a young woman because she's so trusting of them."

All of a sudden, her father stopped dead in is tracks. His face went white, and his smile had gone stoic. "Amanda, I need you to be honest with me, has your uncle ever done anything inappropriate towards you?"

Amanda had been talking about Dr. Black, so she was confused as to why her dad would ask her  about her uncle. "No, of course not. Why would you even ask me such a thing?"

She thought he was joking, but her father had a stone cold dead serious look upon his face. "Listen Amanda, if he did anything to you, you have to tell me. I don't care if he is my brother. You're my daughter, and you come first above all else. So if he has done something to you, you need to let me know. Even if it's painful for either one of us, you have to tell me the truth."

"No, Uncle Robert has never done anything like that to me." She proclaimed. "How could you even think that?"  Her father turned his head; he was hiding something. And just like that something clicked.

"Uncle Robert isn't part of an expedition, is he?" she asked.

"Honey, this isn't a good time." he replied.

"Wrong." She stated. "This is the perfect time. We're celebrating my eighteenth birthday, remember? I am technically no longer a child. Tell me the truth."

Her father looked at her and sighed. "Honey, some students accused him of sexual harassment, and misconduct."

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "What?  Why didn't you or Mom tell me?  Where is he, why haven't I seen him lately?"

"Sweetheart, he's in jail, being held without bail." Her father answered. "Your mother and I didn't tell you because of all that you have been through in the last month.  We didn't want to upset you."

"You're damn right, I'm upset!" she exclaimed. Just like that, the room went quiet, and even the band stopped playing.

"Mandy!" her father objected. "Stop acting like a child! This party is for you, everyone is staring."

"No!" she cried. "I don't care!  My uncle, your brother is rotting in jail, and you're throwing a party?  We should be down at the jail, showing our support!"

She turned to walk towards the door, but her father grabbed her upper arm. "Mandy, listen to me, I know how you feel. I love my brother, but the evidence against him is too overwhelming. I wish I didn't believe that he has done these horrible things."

"But you do?" she asked.

Amanda could see the guilt in her father's eyes, as he began to cry. "I wish I didn't.  As I said before, the evidence is just too overwhelming."

"What overwhelming evidence?" she begged.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow. Okay?" Her father answered. "But now is not the time."

She knew that he was right, but at that moment she didn't feel like being part of a celebration; even though it was a lavish party all for her. "Will you excuse me, dad? I just need some air."

Her father stepped aside, and let her walk away. As she made her way towards the outdoor terrace, she could see that everyone was staring at her. Why did she have to find out about this now?  Was it true?  No not her uncle, it couldn't be.  But her parents wouldn't believe something like that, unless there was some sort of hard evidence.

To whom had he even allegedly done such horrible things?  And how many?  It just didn't seem like him, not her Uncle Rob. She didn't know which thought was more devastating; the fact that anyone could ever think that he had actually done those things, or the possibility that he actually had.

Feeling numb, she closed her eyes and let the night air envelop her body. The air had a floral aroma on a pleasant, yet unusually warm, Halloween night. She could hear the band begin to start playing again. But she could have cared less about the melody to even try to figure out what song it was. This night was supposed to be special, but instead it was a disaster. Her parents had lied to her, and she felt as though her life was falling apart.

With her eyes still closed she soon felt the presence of someone standing behind her. She could feel the stubble of his facial hair, and his hot breath upon her skin as he soon whispered in her ear. "May I have this dance?"

Her body turned to jelly, as the hot breath of his husky voice made her want to melt right into him. Whosever voice it was, this time is was not her father's. Amanda then turned around, and slowly opened her eyes.  Surprised, she came face to face with her would be suitor.  "You?"

****************************************