28

Art by Sockpaws!
TW - mentions of death, hospital, mentions of sex
CW - swearing

DREAM -

One Year Earlier
...I hung in the air for a moment, someone's arms around my waist. I opened my eyes, I was three floors off the ground now. Someone was hanging off a large wire attached to the roof, their arms were around me.
Then I heard an all too familiar voice in my ear.
"I fucking hate you,"
Then I was falling again. I hit the ground and the world went black...

————

When I woke up I was in an unfamiliar sterile room. I could hear machines beeping around me and my entire body suddenly erupted in burning, aching pain. I fought the urge to yell out as I clenched my teeth.

I could hear voices above me, I could make out two of them. A British accent and an American one. The American one was the doctor, I vaguely recognised his voice. I'd been floating in and out of consciousness for a while and every time I'd become aware of my surroundings, the American accented doctor had been present.

I didn't recognise the British person and I strained my ears to hear what he was saying.
"Are you sure he's going to be okay?" He was asking.
"Yes, he's going to make a full recovery," The doctor responded.
"Okay, thats good," The British man paused, "Um... could you maybe not tell him that I was here,"
"Yes, of course,"

I was about to open my eyes to see who the British accent belonged to but I kept them tightly shut when I felt someone move closer beside me.
"I'm sorry. Maybe in another life we'll get things right. But for now I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I love you and I hate that I do," He kissed my forehead and then muttered a goodbye to the doctor before leaving the room.

I kept my eyes closed, my mind turning over what the British man had said. After a while, I drifted into unconsciousness yet agin.

When I woke up, I'd forgotten all about the British man and the things he'd said.

Present Day

"No. You're wrong. The best Disney Princess pet is Pascal," George folded his arms defiantly and I rolled my eyes,
"But it's not though. It's Angus the fucking horse. He and Merida have a connection, he's the only one that understands her," I replied indignantly.
"No. Pascal and Rapunzel have a deeper bond than Merida and Angus. It's a fact, Dream," George insisted.

"We'll just have to agree to disagree, won't we Georgie?" I smirked. He paused, his face went a little red.
"Georgie?" He whispered after a moment. I felt my cheeks heat up, I hadn't meant for that to just slip out.
"I, um, sorry, I didn't mean to, I just-"
"It's fine Dream, I don't mind," George smiled shyly from the other side of the couch and I beamed.

"So, should we watch another movie or do something else?" I asked after a moment. George grinned,
"I vote we watch Tangled so I can prove that Pascal is the superior Disney Princess pet," He told me. I chuckled but didn't protest. George got to his feet, "You find the film, I'll order pizza," He said before he walked out of the room.

I grinned as I picked up the remote and began scrolling through Disney+ to find Tangled. I could hear George ordering pizza in the next room, it surprised me a little when he ordered my favourite without even asking. I couldn't help but smile. I didn't know what was going on. Being around George just felt so familiar, so safe, as if I'd known him for years, as if we'd been best friends since we were kids.

I found Tangled and waited for George to return. He walked into the room after a moment and sat down beside me again, only this time he was noticeably closer than before. I felt my cheeks heat up a little and George smiled at me.
"The food will be here in half an hour," He looked at the tv, "Now, let me prove to you that Pascal is superior," He grinned and I pressed play on the movie.

I noticed that George became more chatty when he got more comfortable. He was more open, calmer. He made funny comments as we watched the film and I found myself laughing more than I had in years. I let my eyes continuously drift to George every few seconds and my heart would beat faster as he smiled brightly, his eyes crinkling up. I loved his smile.

When the pizza arrived, George stood up to go and get it. I ran a hand through my blond hair, my mind racing. All of these feelings were like a tidal wave washing over me. I didn't really know what was going on. I'd had crushes on people before but not like this. I'd never been in any sort of relationship.

I knew I'd had my first kiss and I'd had sex but my dad told me that it had been with a girl and I'd lost a little fragment of my memory in an accident. I'd never really thought about my forgotten first times, I'd been so caught up with work but now I felt a little upset that I couldn't remember.

Over the years since my accident, I'd gained back a few memories but none of a girl who I'd supposedly loved. A few years ago, a small little thing came back to me, lying naked in bed beside a boy with hickeys covering his neck. His head rested on my chest as I traced circles on his bare skin. When I'd asked my dad about the boy, he'd told me that I must've made him up.

"Dream?" George's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked up in surprise. He was standing in the doorway of the living room, holding two pizza boxes.
"Do you have any serviettes?" He tilted his head slightly to the side and I laughed in confusion,
"Serve-whats?" I chuckled, standing up. George rolled his eyes,
"Napkins," He clarified. I laughed again and nodded.

I lead George into the kitchen and helped him plate the pizza. I grabbed some napkins and together we returned to the living room. We continued to watch Tangled as we ate and once the pizza was finished, we settled back in the couch. After a while, I carefully put my arm around George and pulled him closer to me. He stiffened up and I quickly made to remove my arm,

"Sorry, I- er,"
"No, it's okay, I just wasn't expecting it," George smiled and pulled my arm back around him. After a moment, I felt a small weight on my shoulder. George's head was resting there. I felt butterflies in my stomach.

Sitting like this with George felt familiar. I stared at him for a while, taking in his features. His small frame seemed to fit perfectly beside me and I got the overwhelming feeling of familiarity that seemed to surround me every time I was around George.

Then it hit me. The memories came rushing back.

Word count - 1201

A/N -
Hello!
Thoughts?

Have an amazing day/night!
You are all awesome and valid <3!

Thanks for reading!