29 - Nerves

A couple of hours later I was laying in bed and of course I couldn't sleep. I knew what Jo meant, they would ask about the foster home that I ran from. I had to tell them what it was like, what they did. But once I had done that I could move on, live here with Maya and Carina and finally stop worrying about all of it. After a while I gave up on trying to sleep, put the nightlight on and got my book out. At least this way I didn't think about tomorrow. A soft knock made me snap out of my reading, the door opened slowly and Maya peaked in. "I saw your light. Can't sleep, huh?" I shook my head and put the book down as she walked over and climbed beside me on the other side of my bed. "It will all work out Iz.. Ella.", she smiled at me and I smiled back though not so convincing. "I really hope it does .. you know it's really exhausting. All of it.". She nodded. "You shouldn't have to go through all of this." I shrugged. "At least I can handle it." "You're really strong and tough, but now it's time for you to be a kid and be safe, you deserve it, it will work out tomorrow." I nodded. "I just wish it was over yet." "I get that. This is about the questions they might have right?" I nodded again. "I don't like talking about it." "Well you don't have to right now and I will be with you tomorrow, okay?" "Thanks Maya." I scooted over to her a bit and she immediately understood and put her arm around me so that I could rest my head on her shoulder. "Why don't you try and sleep a little bit? I can stay with you." I had kind of wished that she would offer that. Last time she did this for me it actually helped so I nodded and allowed myself to snuggle into her as she soothingly rubbed my back.

The next morning we all were nervous. The energy in the apartment definitely revealed that. I had slept a couple of hours and Maya had fallen asleep next to me too, it was Carina who woke us up. They both had to work today, I knew that Carina was kind of upset that she couldn't be at the station when all of it would be happening and truthfully I was too, though it wouldn't make sense for her to be there when we did it as we talked about. The goodbye when Maya and I left was emotional and I clung to her a little longer when we hugged goodbye. "You will do amazing bambina."

"How am I supposed to concentrate on anything at school?" I asked Maya when we were almost there. "Just.. just try your best, it will all be fine. Tonight it will all be over." I nodded. "Okay, see you later." And I hopped out and headed to school. Ty was already waiting for me and I explained the plan to him, he also seemed to agree that there was no reason for this not to work, which calmed my nerves slightly. As I thought the day just creeped on slowly until finally the bell rang. My heart instantly picked up a beat though. Now I really wanted this to be over, I was feeling nauseous as usual when I was nervous like this.. "What if it doesn't work?" "Ell, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, come on, I'll walk you." He tried to get my mind off of this, talking about classes, teachers and all but of course it didn't work all too well. We were almost there when my phone buzzed, it was a message from Carina. *Bambina, it will all work out, tonight we're celebrating!* I smiled down and grabbed Ty's hand for the last few meters. it wasn't weird or anything, we both knew I needed the comfort and didn't overthink these small gestures. "Okay.", I breathed out deeply when we arrived in front of the station. "Want me to come in with you?" "No I don't want you to get in trouble or anything." He nodded. "Just .. just tell them the truth about your last home, whatever it is, tell them. Maya will make sure you'll get home with her, it will all be fine. Remember? It's our time to be lucky." I nodded. "You're right." We hugged tightly. "Text me as soon as you're safe!" "I will!" He walked off and I walked in, noone was at the front desk, which I wasn't mad about. I figured they all knew about what was happening today but wasn't exactly keen on talking about it. So I headed to Maya's office, knocked and went in. She was sitting at her desk smiling at me now. "Hey you." "Hey." "Okay so I told the team and Andy will act as Captain in case a call comes in. Vic will stay here with us and the three of us will rock this okay?" I chuckled because she used that word so unconvingingly but nodded. "Okay, Vic will also make the call to CPS, if they ask where you've been staying since the fire, what can you say?" "Uhm I slept at school a few times before, so I could tell them I did that." She nodded. "Okay. I'll call Vic in here." A few moments later she joined us. "Okay Izzy, you ready?" "Oh..uhm Vic, well.. my real name is actually Ella.". She looked confused. "Oh?" "Yeah I lied to you and then it kind of stuck so.." "Okay Ella be it. Maya want me to make the call now?" She nodded and handed her her office phone. 

They traded places, Vic sat down behind the desk and Maya stood next to me. I started shaking when Vic diaelled, Maya grabbed my hand now. "Victoria Hughes, Seattle Fire Department, Station 19 here. We have an unattended teenager here who we saved from a fire a couple weeks back that is supposed to be in foster care. Yes we brought her to the hospital but she left against doctors orders, she came here looking for medical assistance and shelter right now.... Okay I understand.. no yes she is safe here right now. I wasn't able to get her name yet, she is about fifteen. We have a firefighter here who has a foster licence and offered to take her in Okay. Okay yes see you soon." Just now did I realise that I had held my breath. "They will need about an hour or two until they'll send someone. They sounded happy about the fact that somebody offered to take you in. I thought it was best to leave your name out of it until they're here right?" I nodded. "Thanks Vic.Okay Ella, ready for part two?" I nodded. "I just hope they send someone nice." The hour and a half that it took for someone from social services to arrive was creeping along. Most of the team had come in and tried to cheer me up, though no one really succeeded in doing so. Me and Vic were just sitting in the lounge watching TV when Gibson came running in. "Someone is here, it's go time, Maya is talking with them right now, they are coming up in a minute." My heart rate immediately picked up and I grabbed hold of Vic's hand who looked at me surprised. Jack hurried off again and I could hear Maya talking to someone, the voices growing louder until I saw them.