7 - Carina

Izzy

Reluctantly I followed her, surprised that she acted like I didn't just snap at her half an hour ago. The brunette from the hospital was standing in the kitchen chopping something. She wasn't wearing these light pink scrubs any more, instead she wore a blouse and black trousers that made her look elegant. When Maya entered the room she looked up and smiled brightly. "Ahhh the bambina. I am happy you're here with us!", she said enthusiastically. "Izzy, this is Carina, my wife and Doctor at Grey-Sloan as you might remember." I stayed a bit in the distance, near the couches and awkwardly raised one hand to greet her. "Hi. Yeah I remember, sorry for .. uhm..", I looked down at the floor. "Dodging me and running away, ha?", she asked, but you could hear her laughing through it. I looked up now, holding onto my arm as a shield. "Uhh.. yeah that." "Don't worry I really should work out more, Maya made it very clear that I should have kept up with you.", she said and that last part sounded a little bit bitter as she side-eyed Maya. Had they been fighting over me? Maya completely ignored the comment though. "I am going to go put these in the wash, Izzy you can sit with Carina.", and off she was leaving the two of us alone. "Come here, you can sit at the bar stool.", Carina gestured and I did just that, reluctantly though. She was chopping some Zucchini and had water boiling, where she poured in pasta now. Before turning her attention back to me. "How are you feeling? Do you still experience shortness of breath, coughing, dizziness or anything like that?", she asked, looking straight at me with her warm eyes. I shook my head. "Not really. My eyes kind of hurt from the smoke and the crying I guess and I'm tired, but I'm not coughing much anymore.", I explained and she nodded. "I have some eye drops I can give you, but that sounds good bambina. I want to listen to your breathing before you go to sleep, ok?" I nodded and she went on with preparing some kind of sauce in a pan. "Uhm.. could I get a glass of water?" "Sure sure, we want you to be hydrated!". "Are you hungry?", she asked after handing me the water. I shrugged. "You will try some of this pasta, you surely haven't eaten much today, you need the fuel." I kind of liked her. She was much more chill than Maya, it seemed to be so normal for me to just sit here and watch her cook. "Ahhh Maya, can you set the table for the three of us? Dinner is almost done.", she said now and I realised that Maya had come back. I just sat and watched the two of them interact. They seemed to really love each other which was something I wasn't as used to seeing,especially with two women. I was glad though that Maya was living with a woman, I didn't know if I could be here if it was a guy. Though Travis seemed ok. "Izzy, are you coming to sit with us?", Maya interrupted my thoughts and I realised that the table was completely sat. I took my glass and sat down with them, Maya to my left and Carina on the opposite side of the table. The pot with pasta and the sauce was placed in the middle and Carina gestured for me to take some. "Oh you go first.", I said and took a sip of water. After the two of them got some Carina gestured me to take some again, there were tons left so I felt like I could get an average to small portion. I was actually quite hungry, having eaten nothing apart from the hospital food earlier. I was so lost in thoughts that I didn't even realise how quiet it was until Carina spoke. "I am off work tomorrow Izzy, what do you like to eat for breakfast? I can make us something yummy.", she smiled at me encouragingly. I was a bit overwhelmed with all of this so I just looked between the two of them. "Uhm.. I... I don't know, I'll eat most things, but i'm good without breakfast too.", I finally said as none of them said anything else. "Nonono breakfast is an important meal, we don't skip meals!", she intervened. "Maya when is your shift?", she asked. "Starting at 8 tomorrow, but I could see if someone can fill in for me, Andy did that today too.", she said and looked at me kind of like she expected an answer. Was she asking me if she needed to stay home with me? "Uhm, why would someone need to fill in for you?", I asked bluntly. "Oh I thought .. if you felt more comfortable.." "I ... I am only staying the night, I don't need a babysitter.", I clarified. "Bambina, Izzy.. can I ask, how old are you?", Carina spoke now before Maya could say anything. "Why does that matter?", I answered immediately, scooting back and folding my arms in front of my body. She laughed a little. "I am just wondering, you don't need to get defensive. YOu are just like Maya, why are you americans like this?", she looked between the two of us and I blushed a little and relaxed. "I'm fifteen.", I finally said and took another bite of the pasta. "Fifteen.. Why do you want to go tomorrow bella?", she asked now and when I was true to myself I didn't really want to go anymore so I just shrugged my shoulders and continued eating. "Well you are very welcome to stay and rest. I would feel better if I knew you were safe and recovering.", Maya said after Carina had spoken this entire time. I looked up and at her with surprise. "I know you value your independence and I know that you said that you're good at taking care of yourself, but if you want we can provide that for you too.", she went on and I swallowed hard. "It's true Bambina, you can stay, we would love to have you!".I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything and just continued to eat. "Well I am going to the station then, I am sure Vic will want to check in on you tomorrow anyways and Carina is home if you need anything.", Maya concluded and I nodded. „I would like to go to bed now if that's okay.", I said. „Yes sure. Let me just listen to your breathing and check your Heart rate ok?", Carina said and got up to get something. Maya started clearing the table and I helped, being used to it from foster homes. "Bambina come sit on the couch for me okay?" I did as I was told. "Okay I will put this on your back now okay?" She said and showed me the stethoscope. I nodded and she told me some ways I should breathe before also measuring my heart rate, pulse etc. "Okay sounds good, if you feel sick tonight, please wake us okay?", I nodded again. "Good night then, sleep tight bambina!" She said and I finally got up and went back to the guest room. After I closed the door and turned around and pretty much stared at the bed. I hadn't sat on it yet and I didn't see myself sleeping in such a big and comfy bed. I don't think I ever did. I decided to go to the bathroom first and saw that Maya must have put a toothbrush here for me. I got ready for bed and finally pulled back the covers and slipped in. Wow this was actually insanely comfortable. I had so much to think about but I quickly fell to sleep.