1 - The Fire

When I opened my eyes I was surrounded by smoke. Fuck what happened? I coughed trying to breathe. I had just gone to sleep and now this ? Without thinking too much I grabbed a shirt and pressed it in front of my mouth and nose to breathe. Looking around I quickly realised I needed to get out of here. I stuffed everything into the backpack that laid beside me and left the tiny basement unit that I had slept in for a few weeks now. Damnit. As soon as I left that unit I felt the air getting warmer. Please no. I couldn't be trapped in here. That couldn't be happening. Running down the corridor to get to the stairs the smoke got thicker until I couldn't see anymore and just as I thought it couldn't get worse I saw it. Big flames blocked the last meters to the stairs. No no no no no. Think! What do you do? The windows. They were tiny and closed but I had to try it. I couldn't possibly get out through the stairs. I ran back to the unit, stacked a few boxes so I could reach the window and see out. It was dirty but I could make out a fire truck. Ok ok ok ok.people were here, I would make it out. Should I call for help? Would they even hear me ? I had to try. I slammed my fists against the glass. „HELP HELP I AM IN HERE!" Should I try and run back to call up the corridor? Fuck what was I supposed to do. Could I fit through the window? Realistically not. But maybe if I broke it someone would hear me? Yes. I jumped down the boxes and finally found a brick. Ok Izzy, you can do it. Just throw the damn brick and you will get out of here. The smoke was getting thicker in my unit. 3 2 1 and I threw the brick right through the window. It shattered everywhere though mostly outside and I jumped up the boxes again. „HELP!" I screamed again as loud as I could. „I AM TRAPPED! HELP!" I didn't even know I could scream that loud. I heard people around, but it was so loud. I went on my tippy toes and tried to stay clear from glass while I managed to get my head out and a few breathes of air into my lungs. „HELP IN THE BASEMENT" I screamed again but no one seemed to notice. Though I had been jumping from move to move in seconds I now realised that I really was trapped in here. No one knew I was down here and the fire came closer. The tears came along with the panic. I screamed frantically now, my head out the window, but I couldn't fit. Suddenly though there were voices coming closer. „I swear I heard someone Maya!" yes! Yes you heard me! „HELP PLEAAAAASE!", I cried out as loud as I could again and again. Until I finally saw them. Two firefighters and they saw me! It was a man and a Woman who came running towards me as soon as I saw them. „There is a girl still in the building trapped in the basement, we have access through the window, but it's not big enough to fit her out, how is the situation inside?", the man hectically spoke into the thing he got while the woman, ran towards me and got down on her knees. „Hey! What's your name! I am Vic, this is Travis. " I was still crying though now Relief was in there. „I'm.'", i catched my breath. „I'm Izzy, please get me out of here. Please I don't want to die please I am trapped, the ... the stairs are on fire, I .. I need to get out of there." I was in full on panic mode now. „Izzy listen to me. Look at me Izzy! We will get you out of there okay! Good job for screaming so loud okay!?" I locked eyes with her. She looked determined. „I can't fit. I .. I cannot fit through the window, it's getting hotter in there, I.. how ?" „Our Team is in the building okay? Do you see Travis ? He is speaking into that radio telling them where you are right now okay? They will get you Izzy! Now, are you hurt? Can you walk?" „No .. no I am not hurt I just ...I'm just coughing." „Izzy I don't want you to freak out okay, but you're bleeding, did you get cut?" „I .. I ... yes but it's not that bad." „Okay .." she looked up at the guy. „Izzy I have to speak to Travis for a second hold on okay?". She got up and walked a few steps over to him, they were now both talking into the radio and looked worked up, she wasn't as calm anymore. I didn't like what this looked like. Suddenly another firefighter appeared. Another woman. She was blonde and quickly looked at me before talking with the others and through the radio as well. She and Vic came running towards me now while the guy ran back around the corner. „Hey Izzy, I'm captain Maya Bishop, my team is in there trying to get to you okay? We will try and get to you from out here too okay? We will try to make this window bigger now, okay?" My tears were still streaming down my face. "Yes.", I got out. "What can I do? I need to do something I don't want to burn alive. Please!", I pleaded. "No no no no, Izzy you will not burn alive! We will get you out of there!", the blonde said sternly and I really wanted to believe her.

Maya

"I need an update! Miller, Herrera, were you able to get to the basement yet?" "We got a path down the stairs now. The fire has spread down the corridor, we need backup trying to get it out so we can get through to the girl!", Andy spoke. "Sullivan, Gibson, if the upper floors are clear head down there now! We need to get this girl out!" "Copy.", Sullivan's voice went through andI turned around to see Vic laying in front of the girl holding oxygen for her to breathe. How did she even get trapped down there at this time. The rest of the team was surrounding the two trying to get the wall to butch so that we could get her out that way but it didn't look good. "Captain, what unit is she in?", Dean's voice called through the radio. „One second Miller", I hurried over to the girl, Izzy. „Izzy do you know which number unit you are in?" She looked desperate. „No.", she cried out. „I .. I don't know. Omg I am so dumb.",she was freaking out. „Izzy! Izzy! Calm down, do you remember how many doors the corridor had ?", I intervened now. „There's numbers on the doors, I am going to look.", she said. „NO!", Vic and I screamed at the same moment that the girl just jumped down the boxes. The room was filled with smoke she wouldn't be able to see properly and was running the risk of choking . Dammit I should have asked differently. „Maya you better tell me they are almost there to get this girl!", Vic snapped. "Izzy come back, they will find you without the number! Izzy!", she screamed powerless but Izzy wasn't seen. "Miller, Herrera, the girl just went back in the basement to check the number, call for her, she might be at one of the doors!" "What's the name.", Andy asked. "Izzy! Her name is Izzy!". "Vic you need to stop calling her name,she needs to hear the others!", I stopped her. There was no sign of life from Izzy in there and no updates from the team from inside. It was dead silent. Vic's stare was burning into me. She blamed me. "Miller, Herrera.", I radioed in, no response. No no no this couldn't be happening. "Herrera!", I radioed again. Silence for what felt like an eternity.