Chapter 14

Ricky's POV

I smile.

"Your majesty, we found more details on Lainey's death." A guard says while walking towards Katherine.

My heart seems to stop.

Katherine looked at me, a questioning look on her face.

"What?" She asks.

"That name.. I.." I stammer.

"His ex lovers name was Lainey." Andy cuts me off.

"Could you possibly be talking about Lainey Morrison?" She asks.

"How do you know her?" I ask.

"She was my younger sister. Not by blood, though. My parents took her in as their own. They found her in the woods by herself, fragile, alone. I was an only child and me, being desperate for a sibling was happy with taking her in as my sister. My parents decided to name her Lainey. Her name meant shining light in old french. They thought it would be fitting, considering she was going to grow up in the light. As she grew up, she learned about our world and decided she didn't like it. One day, she ran away and never came back. We never saw her again, alive anyway. We found her body near a toll bridge in Storybrooke. It's been years since her death but I've been doing everything I can to find out what exactly she did after she left and what happened to her." She explains.

Wait.. what? Lainey knew everything?

"Ricky, did you know this?" Kate asks, turning to look at me.

"No." I reply. I look back at Katherine. "I know how she died."

"And how is that?"

"I'm the reason she's dead. We fell in love but then I realized she didn't deserve to be with a monster like me and I know she didn't want to leave me. I asked Rumplestiltskin to rip her heart out and crush it. She knew what I was all the time and she chose to stay with me and sacrifice her life for me." I say.

"Rumplestiltskin is your ally?" A voice says behind us, startling us.

I turn around and see a man with black hair, blue eyes and dressed in gear like everyone else. He almost looks like Andy.

"Jared, this is not appropriate." Katherine says.

"What's inappropriate is their alliance with the dark one! He has taken lives for the fun of it!" He yells.

"I won't let you talk to my brother like that!" Kate yells.

"Kate-"

"And what are you going to do about it? Stop me with your unicorn stickers and rainbows?" He snaps.

In a blink of an eye, she tackles him and has him by the throat, her grip on it tightening.

"Kate!" I yell and pull her back by the waist.

The guards are about to get in between, but Andy and Nick stop them. The whole room is in chaos.

"Enough!" Katherine yells, and that seems to be enough for everyone to stand still.

More guards come into the room and pull back.

I look at Jared to see him grin.

"You failed the test, all of you." He says. I frown in confusion.

"You can't be trusted, I now know that. You won't bring peace to this realm, so why should we help destroyers?" Katherine says. "Take them to their cells."

"What?! No!" I yell as we get dragged away, into our cells.

Kate's POV

I get thrown into the cell, the door being shut and locked.