Chapter XLI

What does it mean to be a hero? Someone whose name is immortalized in history books and recited in bedtime stories? Was it someone who was adored by all and feared by many? Is there even a proper textbook definition for what a hero is? Or is it something merely subjective and only defined by that of the person describing it. It's a term entirely up to one person and what they believe it means to be a hero. There is no set or concrete description for the elusive title that is commonly thrown around without any real context.

That doesn't stop people from trying to fit into the mould that society has coined what it means to be a hero or what it takes to be immortalized in such a way. People are still desperate to reach that unobtainable standard that was decided upon, perpetuated and stigmatized by epic stories of fantastical grandeur and improbable occurrences.

Superheroes have only blurred this definition further. Not everyone can be as courageous as Steve Rogers or as amiable as Charles Xavier. Some people fall into the more ambiguous territory and find more comfort in the blurry side of the term. To follow the superhero analogy, a person like the Scarlet Witch or Wade Wilson, even The Punisher, may fall into that grayer area. The characters are flawed and imperfect and stumble. The character Clea or Magik, perhaps even Raven, all have that more unknown aspect to them because they make mistakes. No one is righteous enough not to make mistakes or fumble the ball.

The more people try to squeeze into the role of perfection and become an untouchable deity, the more they are likely to fail and fall into the pit of the 'fallen hero' that is then scrutinized and banished from conversations. However, some people just wish to be remembered for their actions for good and not the shadows luring them away from the spotlight.

-----

"Miss. Potter," Dumbledore announced, watching as she stepped through the threshold of his office, eyes wary of her surroundings, "I'm pleased to see you came."

"Well, when the Head Master of Hogwarts, the school I attend, calls," Lyra shrugged, her tone passive, "I haven't many places to hide. Especially when he's been known to steal into my mind on occasion."

"Apologies for my past actions," Dumbledore began, stepping around from his desk, hands open in a display of vulnerability, "I thought crassly and allowed my desire for success to cloud my true intentions. I offer you an olive branch, Lyra."

The blonde watched the Head Master with a focused and trained eye. She knew she couldn't dip into his mind; she'd tried on occasion when she saw him in the Grand Hall. Each time, she'd fallen short and been left with a piercing gaze from the man. Lyra knew that the Professor had a mind guarded by a wall made of twelve-inch thick steel. She'd have to be the most potent ligilimen in the Wizarding World if she even wanted to poke at the walls. Alas, she was not. She had training from Regulus Black and a natural talent but was no match for the skills her Head Master harboured.

"I'm aware of the knowledge Mr. Black and your brother have shared with you," Dumbledore continued, noting the silence that followed his previous offer, "You're not only a brilliant witch, but quite astute. I would like to bring you on to the team I'm putting together, a group that will bring Voldemort to his knees."

"I've heard of this plan," Lyra interjected, "From a friend."

A scraping feeling pulled across Lyra's mind, and she gave the Professor a knowing smirk. He had a thicker wall up, but Lyra was not defenceless. She had managed to keep the Dark Lord at bay; she could do the same to Dumbledore. The Professor raised his hands in defeat, and the ticklish feeling vanished from her head. The man descended the stairs from his pedestal and stood next to the Phoenix that groomed itself.

"Have you learned what a Horcrux is, Miss. Potter?"

"I have, Professor." Lyra nodded along, dropping onto one of the armchairs in the office, "It is a fraction of a person's soul put into an object. When the person dies, their soul lives on."