Chapter XI

Lyra has been screwed over more times than she'd care to admit. Whether it be by someone she loves or someone she can't stand. She's had terrible luck in love, and she sometimes finds herself wondering if her friends only hang out with her because of her brother. The only person Lyra was positive wasn't using her was Lily because they became friends long before she and James became anything other than acquaintances. But even she had loyalties lying with the Marauders, so Lyra felt alone.

She wasn't sure if she could fully trust Regulus just yet. Sure, he hadn't done wrong by her so far, but she's always been able to keep her walls up long enough to figure that out. But with the way he treaded around her carefully, as though testing her allegiance to the good side of the war, Lyra felt as though he were honest with her. But then again, she also thought that she and Sirius would just end up hating each other forever. Yet, he seemed to have other plans.

Whatever game the eldest Black brother was playing was dangerous, and Lyra was extremely close to exploding on him and anyone around. Perhaps that was what James was hiding from her, the fact Sirius was dicking her around for his own amusement, letting her foolishly believe that someone could feel those things towards her.

But she and James never did these sorts of things to one another. James was the one constant in her life, and although they were different, Lyra knew he loved her. It was only recently when the letters began popping up, and Regulus showed himself, things began to come between them. The timing was everything to the younger twin, and everything was becoming too convenient for her liking.

-----

"Okay, go back to the beginning," Regulus sighed, leaning back against the wall of the astronomy tower, watching the blonde pace continuously, "I'm struggling to understand."

"At the start of the year, I began receiving these very romantic letters from a secret admirer," Lyra repeated, running a shaking hand through her hair, "I thought they were from you or Pierre. But no, they were from your sadistic older brother!"

"I don't think Sirius is that cruel, Lyra," Regulus sighed, pursing his lips the same way that James had done earlier, "Maybe he fancies you."

Lyra scoffed at the mere thought of Sirius Black having the hots for her. She stopped her pacing at the balcony of the tower, gripping the railing and staring out at the castle sprawling in front of her. He had done nothing but make her life miserable her entire life at Hogwarts, so the blonde seriously doubted he fancied her. And if he did, he needed to learn better-flirting techniques because they weren't in grade school. Lyra didn't want to fall for someone who made her hate herself and the life she lived.

"He's a dick, I know," Regulus grumbled, running a hand down his face, "But I don't think he meant to hurt you this much. He probably thought it was just another innocent prank."

"Yeah, well," Lyra whispered, pursing her lips and biting back the tears that threatened to spill, "It wasn't innocent."

She wasn't sure what it was that hurt her about the entire scenario. Perhaps it was how she genuinely thought that someone might have liked her differently than before. But deep down, she knew that wasn't why. The problem was that her conscious mind couldn't put her finger on what hurt the most. Lyra wasn't prepared to admit that one little detail to herself, and she'd be damned if she let anyone in on what was really nagging her.

"I want to get back at him," Lyra stated, turning and facing the tall boy leaning against the wall, "I don't care how, but I need to get back at him."

Regulus smirked at her words and pushed himself off the wall, sauntering forward with a devilish glint in his eyes. Whatever it was forming in his head, Lyra knew it would cause her a landfill of issues in the future, but she didn't care. She was willing to screw everything up if it meant causing Sirius the same hurt that he had caused her over the years. Regulus may just be the way to do that, and it seemed that both the Potter and Black children knew that fact. How they were going to go about it? Well, it was Regulus who had the plan.