Chapter II

Lyra never had luck in love. Unlike her brother, she was only ever to keep a relationship for a short period. Eventually, after years of failed attempts, the blonde accepted her fate as a flirt and ran with it. She'd confided in her brother and her best friend about how she longed for someone to love her for her, and not just for her body or the things she does in the bedroom. But no matter her attempts, Lyra never found success in the love department. It always ended with her in tears, feeling terrible about herself.

The words of Sirius Black never helped her case. Whenever she went through heartbreak or was played, he'd make offside comments that usually earned him a smack from James. If he went for Lyra's insecurities, Lily would end up hexing him for a while. At some point, Lyra started to believe the hurtful words he would mutter under his breath. Perhaps he was right; he's never sugarcoated anything for her before; why would he start when it came to her heart?

"Did you ever think maybe you deserve the guys you choose?"

"Maybe it's you that's the problem."

The words he would whisper would always find their way back to Lyra when she was at the lowest point. It didn't even have to be about her love life. Whenever she was in the weakest points of her life, his insults would return to her mind. James always tried to explain to his twin that Sirius didn't mean harm, but he was just too honest for his good. But it didn't help.

So she always ended up in bed with someone, ignoring the hole it left inside of her heart.

-----

Lyra sighed as she and the other girls landed in the Gryffindor common area. Already, people were slurring words and making out in corners. The blonde let a smile grace her face at the chaos that took place around her. She thrived in the noise and the fact that she probably wouldn't remember most of what happened the next day. Parties were her favourite part of the school year, seeing as she could make as many mistakes as she wanted and no one would notice.

Muggle music blasted throughout the room as sweaty sixth and seventh-year bodies mingled around, moving like a sea of people. Lily gripped Lyra's hand and led her and the others over to the drink table, pouring each of them a shot of whatever drinks James and the others managed to acquire. Lyra winced slightly as the alcohol slid down her throat, leaving a burning feeling in its wake. She let out a bright laugh as Dorcas let out a sputter at the taste.

"C'mon, Dor," Lyra teased, "Surely it wasn't that bad!"

"Speak for yourself," Lily hissed, her own face scrunched up, "Godric, what is that?"

"It's french," a voice spoke, catching the girl's attention.

Lyra turned around, coming face to face, well, more so face to chest, with a tall man. He had shaggy blonde-brown hair that reminded the girl of Remus. His eyes were a steel blue that made Lyra take a large gulp as she stared into them. He had a thick French accent that let her know he was new to the school, most likely from their French neighbours. It seemed he had taken the breath away from the entire group, seeing as none of them spoke.

"My apologies, did I interrupt?" He questioned, eyes trained on Lyra with a sideways smile.

"Nope!" Mary exclaimed, earning a glare from the others.

"Ah, I see," he hummed, still staring at Lyra, "I'm Pierre, Pierre Montagne."

"You're new!" Lily gasped, "I saw you get sorted! Welcome to Gryffindor. I'm Lily Evans, one of the prefects. This is Mary McDonald, Dorcas Meadows, Marlene McKinnon, and Lyra Potter. A pleasure to meet you."

"Potter?" He drawled, his heavy accent drawing out each syllable, "Are you James's sister? I was just speaking with him. He told me about you. Never told me you were this beautiful."