Chapter XX

Heartbreak is something often glossed over to the public eye or is completely romanticized. Sure, there are times where you're curled in a ball, sobbing with an old jumper clinging to your body. But most heartbreak is silence. No crying or screaming. No choked sobs or confessions in the rain. Sometimes it's simply watching everything in life swim around you and feeling nothing when it drags you further into the depths of its grasp.

Heartbreak isn't always something exclusive to romance either. Losing a friend can even be deemed a worse pain than losing a significant other. Sometimes that friend meant everything to you and held your heart in a shaking hand, waiting for the moment to tighten its grasp. You could think that they were the perfect match for you, as though you two were kindred spirits or twins from different walks of life.

Sometimes, those friends aren't really who you think they are.

Heartbreak is a universal language that has a variety of dialects under its umbrella. Losing a parent can be an equivalent comparison to losing your lover. Losing a sibling has been said to be one of the worst pains of all, seeing as all parties came from the same story. Life picks and chooses the chapters that end, and which ones run on. It has no agenda as to when the story comes to a close, simply finishing when it deems necessary.

Heartbreak is a similar thing. It chooses randomly who to hit and when to strike, like an arrow in the air, watching and waiting until the most open and vulnerable spread their arms wide and welcome the puncture to the chest happily. Whether it's the loss of a friend, a family member, or a lover. It didn't matter who or what it was, heartbreak was something that people face regardless. It doesn't matter your creed, sex, religion, or anything. Heartbreak was an unbiased pain that slithered its way into someone's life with sorrowful eyes and the smile of an angel.

-----

Lyra watched from afar as Regulus leaned his head back, a bright smile broken out across his face as Barty Crouch Jr cracked a joke of some sort. She adjusted in her seat, catching the youngest Black brother's attention. He nodded at his mate before turning his attention to the blonde, standing from his seat, reaching down, and lifting her chin with his fore and middle finger. Lyra let out a barely audible sigh as she met those silvery eyes that she found herself staring into more often than she cared to admit.

Despite the number of times that she found herself admiring the pointed features of Regulus Black, it was always in comparison to those of his brothers. Their nose was near identical, high cheekbones that accentuated the dips in their cheeks. At night, when she was tangled in the sheets with said older brother, Lyra would do the same to the boy she only claimed when the moon dipped below the treeline.

She belonged to Regulus Black during the day, fawning at his arm and giggling at his jokes like the good girlfriend he had wanted her to be. At night, she let her cheeks relax and fell into the warmth of Sirius Black's embrace, letting him wash away the pain from the day behind her with his attention and touch. He whispered sweet nothings into her ears to cause temporary amnesia surrounding the memories of watching him hold Scarlett like he held her.

"Time will be on our side soon, my star."

My star.

The nickname had only developed two weeks or so after the first night that she and Sirius had spent together, and Lyra never wanted to hear it fall from anyone else's lips for the rest of her life. He said it with a slight drawl, like butter sliding across a freshly baked pancake. It didn't matter the context it was said in, it was a euphoric feeling that could only be elicited from the tongue of Sirius Black.

"What's on your mind, my darling?" Regulus cooed, bottom lip poking out in an almost mocking manner at the no doubt pouty face that was displayed on Lyra's features.