Chapter XXV

March 27th. Nineteen years ago, Euphemia and Fleamont Potter welcomed their expected baby boy, James. They had a nursery ready for him at the manor, prepared to love and cherish him until their final breaths were taken. He was the perfect baby boy. A healthy weight, though a bit taller. He had bright blue eyes that made Euphemia take in a sharp breath in surprise. He was born with a dark patch of hair on the top of his head and beautiful porcelain skin that reminisced classic renaissance paintings.

Ten minutes later, a surprise took their lives by storm in a silent act.

She was born underweight, shocking green eyes that matched neither Euphemia or Fleamont. Her hair was lighter and sparse, and she had a sharp curve in her nose. She was much smaller than James, and was placed under care at St. Mungos hospital. There was no name to the baby girl that was born, taking the parents by surprise when she was born. Neither were expecting her, seeing as there was no indication of a twin.

Euphemia was monitored for three days, the little green-eyed girl seven. The mother was sent home with the healthy baby boy and her husband after her three days, but the caregivers insisted on keeping the little girl longer. She had fought through the gruesome week, despite her body rejecting most ailments to assist with the issues plaguing the newborn. Her cries were barely audible and came out in more of a song rather than a scream. Her sounds reminded Euphemia and Fleamont of a harp.

On the seventh day, the parents named her Lyra.

Each year, the twins were showered with love on their birthday. No one dared mention the fact that Lyra was the one that had been unexpected, even as the two grew up. As far as the twins knew, both were planned in a way. They were complete opposite looking, creating a unique charm to them as they were introduced to others.

James's hair grew in curly waves and his eyesight worsened as he grew up. A flaw in perfection. His eyes only became bluer and he grew much taller than the other children he would play with at magical grade school. He was naturally athletic and a gifted wizard even from a young age. He was playful and boisterous, a natural leader of the back. His parents knew he'd be a Gryffindor.

Lyra on the other hand grew blonder as the years went on and her hair fell straight. Her eyes were far from blue and were more of a murky green. She was shorter than most, often getting lost in the crowd when she wasn't holding onto James. Her gifts with magic were far beyond her age and most teachers feared her natural ability to pick up on common hexes. They'd often find her sitting alone with a book she had snuck from the mature section in the library. Her social skills lacked and she often had violent outbursts where she'd physically lunge at kids. The only person she got along with easily was James, and she'd follow him around like a lost puppy.

That didn't change much when they became students at Hogwarts when they turned 12.

James was quickly sorted in Gryffindor before the hat even sat fully on his head. He was quickly welcomed into a group of students that soon dubbed themselves the Marauders. He rose quickly in terms of popularity and was accepted onto the Quidditch team a year before he was allowed. A natural born seeker, despite his vision ailments. James Potter became the it-boy of Hogwarts, everyone either wanting him or wanting to be him.

Lyra sat on the stool with the hat on her head for a solid five minutes before it threw her into Gryffindor with her twin. Slytherin was the choice it had originally, dubbing her too ambitious for her own good. But she begged and pleaded to be placed with James, saying that she didn't belong with the sly that fell into the house of snakes. The hat agreed, noting that her ambition was more so based in action rather than cunning feats of wit. So Lyra followed her brother for years to come.

But every birthday, they still celebrated their birthdays together. Sometimes even unforeseen circumstances can't put an end to traditions, even if he liked it a bit more.