Chapter X

The last place in the world that Lyra wanted to spend her night was with Sirius Orion Black. Both because of his pompous and egotistical attitude and the little show he had put on for Pierre in the common room when Lyra was blissfully unaware of the French boy's presence. He had used whatever minor vulnerabilities he could find in Lyra and turned them against her, making her out to be a cheat to Pierre.

She could only imagine how this would throw everything she and Regulus came up without the window, leaving them back at square one, grovelling for a plan. Even though the two were now on ground zero, Sirius was still hellbent on making Lyra's day even worse. She wasn't sure what he wanted out of her or why he was so adamant about being a pain in her ass for the day, but at this point, Lyra was one comment away from shoving her wand somewhere Sirius won't forget.

Typically, when it came to detentions, McGonagall would give whoever was there a task to complete for sending them on their way. She would go off and do her own thing, popping in once and a while to see that they were still there. If Lyra had the choice, McGonagall would stay by her side the entire time she had detention. It was better than spending even more time alone with Sirius.

But then again, it's rare for Lyra to get what she wants. Sirius Black was the main contributing factor to that notion, and boy did he live up to the name of it.

-----

"Are you kidding me?" Lyra grumbled to the redhead beside her as Sirius strolled into the Great Hall, hands stuffed into his pockets and a cocky smirk on his face.

"What?" Lily hummed as she scooped a pile of beans onto her plate.

"Why does he always look so bloody smug?" The blonde complained, taking a bite of her mashed potatoes as she watched him stroll his way towards the table, "I swear to Godric if he sits next to me, Lily, I will hex him."

"What's your issue with him today?" Lily chuckled solemnly, setting her fork down, "I know you guys don't get along, but it seems like you're ready to go to Azkaban with the threats you're making."

Lyra pursed her lips as she assessed the confused expression on her best friend's face. She couldn't precisely tell Lily that Sirius almost kissed her earlier on or how he was taunting her to the point where she was going insane. Lyra loved the Evans girl with her whole heart, but she knew that she wouldn't understand why it infuriated her so much. Lyra and Sirius were meant to be sworn enemies, constantly working against one another. Yet the words he spoke to her made her wonder if he genuinely did despise her. Sirius seemed to know Lyra better than she knew herself, leaving her and their entire relationship in a state of confusion. Merlin knows that Lily would try and spin it to make it seem romantic when it just made the younger Potter twin feel exposed and vulnerable to his wicked wiles.

Lyra was sure the only person who would understand the annoyance she felt was Regulus, and she couldn't just stroll over to the Slytherin table without letting everyone know something was going on between them. It left her at a complete loss. Sirius Black was a known troublemaker, but he had never said something so pointed at Lyra before.

The part that scared her the most was the accuracy of his words. They were similar, even if Lyra refused to admit it. Both were thrown obstacles of a family name, and they had to find a way to overcome that. The issue was that Sirius could escape the Black name for good reason; the only thing Lyra had going for her was feeling inadequate to her twin brother.

"Ladies," Sirius's voice crowed as he slid into the seat next to Lyra, an all-knowing glint in his obsidian eyes, "You're looking extra grumpy today, Harpy. Don't tell me Snivellus's comments have gotten to you. I thought I prepared you better."

Lyra refused to even glance at the boy and elected to stare straight down at her food, a frustrated pout evident on her lips. Whatever game he was playing was starting to get to her, and it was apparent by the way she stabbed her fork into the beef on her plate. She seriously regretted telling McGonagall that she had threatened Severus, but she knew that she would end up doing the same thing if she were given a second chance.