Chapter XIV

It was common knowledge that siblings fought and bickered and were constantly at one another's throats. However, if parents were lucky, their children were able to develop an unbreakable bond. Twins had a special connection between them, having shared such a small space for nine months. Some call it twin-telepathy, or a type of empath connection they shared. It all boiled down to the twins themselves. It was more common in twins of the same sex to be the same, but every so often, a pair of male and female sex twins come along and send people into shock at their relationship.

Sometimes, the twins are complete opposites that fit together perfectly like puzzle pieces. What one lacks, the other picks up. These types of twins are typically referred to as a parent's worst nightmare, seeing as there was more than one troublemaker to care for. What made it worse was that those twins had extra-special abilities that allowed them to hide their pranks without leaving a trace.

When Lyra and James were children, they were absolute demons for their poor parents to handle. Lyra was the sneaky one that would hide any evidence of their wrongdoings, while James would set up the prank and wait for their parents to fall into the trap. They had a flawless system that carried on through the years without a hiccup. Poor McGonagall was the butt of most of their first-year pranks, leaving her on high alert with the Potter twins. When they got bolder, no Professor was safe within the walls of Hogwarts, not even Dumbledore.

As they got older, their friendship continued to blossom further than just a twin relationship. James wasn't simply Lyra's twin brother or family member; he was her best friend. Sure, she and Lily were best friends, but Lyra and James had something completely separate from it. He was her safe place, and she was his; nothing ever came between the twins. Sirius and Lyra would argue, but at the end of the day, Lyra always had James.

The scariest thought to Lyra is living in a world without her twin. Even if they didn't speak or spend time together, knowing he was there was a comfort for the blonde. Living without James walking the same earth as she was a nightmare that Lyra never wanted to experience. She'd do whatever she could to prevent it; she just feared he was slipping too far from her grip.

-----

'Lily,

I'm not sure what to do about James. He seems happy without me, and I worry I may have done something to push him away. Was I too harsh on him before the break? He just made me feel so alone whenever Sirius berated me. But with everything else happening, I really need him. I've never gone this long without actually speaking to him. Everything is bottling up inside of me, and as much as you and Remus care, some things can only really be understood by James. I just miss him, and I wish he would notice that. Do you think he thinks I don't want him around? If so, please tell me. I miss him like I'm missing a part of my own heart. I just want my brother back. Write back soon.

Lyra.'

Lyra pulled her stamp sealer from her bedside table, sealing her letter to Lily before standing from her bed. The blonde wandered over to the large bay window and leaned on the plush pillows on the nook. Pellet, one of many tawny owls that the Potters owned, shook and cooed as Lyra tied the letter to his foot. She pressed a gentle kiss to the top of his head before sending the rust-coloured owl off into the snowy morning. Lyra watched with awe at the way the owl freely beat its wings, and she envied how easy it was for Pellet to fly away.

Lyra blew air into her cheeks before closing her window, shivering at the aggressive chill that had come through. With a wave of her wand, her fireplace burned to life. The younger twin dropped back down onto her bed, tugging the heavy comforter up to her chin as she stared out at the shrinking figure of her owl. She would give anything to change her form and fly off like a free bird, escaping the heavyweight of reality that sat on her shoulders. The feelings that laid on her chest were a constant reminder of her actions, reminding her of what was at stake and the consequences of her plans.