Chapter XXXI

The most meaningful relationship you can have with someone isn't necessarily familial, nor romantic, but platonic. Being able to look at someone and call them 'your person' with no confusing feelings or possible heartbreak attached to it. Of course, this doesn't ward off any potential downfall of a friendship, but when you meet that one person in your life who you know, above all, will have your back and take your side no matter the instance, that's true love.

Because not all love has to be romantic or lustful, loving someone is the same, yet very different, as loving something. Except, it's deeper, richer, and more heavily reliant on your own emotional connection when it's another being. Owning something gives you that sense of possession and loving that sole thing for the attributes it has physically or what it can do. Loving someone beyond romance means having a sense of home outside four physical walls and space. It's having somewhere to run to when no one else or nowhere else wants to let you in.

You will find that person once in a blue moon. Being able to know, deep down, that the person you are closest two can be considered a soulmate in the platonic terms of the word is a feeling beyond words. No one and nothing can pull your two hearts apart when you meet this person. Nothing is severing these ties and undoing this complex knot that has wound two people together. People underestimate the power that platonic soulmates have and how much potential it carries in the long run.

Hang onto these people, these relationships, because they are few and far between.

-----

"Moony!" Lyra beamed as the trio rounded the final corner to the restaurant. She had dropped Sirius's hand before they turned and was free to run towards the skinny boy, throwing her arms around the tall Gryffindor.

"Godric!" Remus exclaimed with a laugh, curling his arms around Lyra just as she did him, lifting her off the ground in a tight embrace, "Anyone ever tell you you've got a bit of strength to you, Ly?"

"The bruises on my arm should be telling enough," Sirius piped up, a grin across his face, "Lookin' good, Moony."

"Not too shabby yourself, Black," Remus chuckled as he released Lyra, embracing Sirius as well with a few pats on the back, "Do I want to know why Prongs tagged along?"

Lyra and Sirius shared a look after the latter pulled away from Remus. A silent conversation struck up between the two as they debated bringing Remus in on their little secret. Neither was ashamed of the relationship, more so worried about who it would get out to and what repercussions there could be. Both trusted Remus beyond comprehension, but many factors outside of trust played into their decision. Lyra floated her own verdict through her boyfriend's brain with a final nod.

'I think we should tell him.'

Sirius silently agreed before turning towards Remus, "Let's go sit, shall we?"

"So you're just not going to answer my question?"

"Oh no," Lyra chuckled, looping her arm through the Gryffindors, "We will, just...perhaps not in such a public area."

Remus glanced down at Lyra with a quizzical expression on his attractive features. One thing Lyra never found herself feeling was anything really romantic towards the lycanthrope, always seeing him as one of her best friends. Even outside of Lily, Remus was the only person who knew Lyra more than she knew herself. The minor quirks that would tick him off she was reaching a limit or peak in her emotional turmoil. He knew when and when not to ask if she was doing okay and what to offer his assistance with and when to do so.

Remus was the perfect balance for Lyra in a way James wasn't. While James and Lyra were two sides of the same coin, Remus was the wallet that Lyra sat in. He always knew what to do and when, never, ever, stepping outside the boundaries Lyra had explicitly set. Lyra was beyond confident that as the entire group of friends they were in grew older and possibly grew apart, she and Remus would never stray too far. He was the anchor that tethered her down while temptations swam around her and pulled her too far. When Remus and Lyra first met, it was friendship at first sight.