Chapter VIII

Gryffindor, the ones with a keen sense of right and wrong. They seek to redress injustice and avenge those wrongfully done. They have a solid moral compass and act out of bravery. The house of the lion is the last to be expected to house a spy in their ranks. Integrity was one of the core values of Gryffindor, as well as justice. But then again, it all aligns with your own morals. If someone in the house believed what was being done by the Dark Lord was correct? Then the Gryffindor morals could very well be one and the same.

It was hard to wrap one's mind around. The idea of someone being so close to her, snooping around her very own home with her best friends. Yet it almost made sense. No one would suspect someone in Gryffindor to be Voldemort's spy. It was a sinister plan that would dupe a large number of people, possibly even Dumbledore himself.

-----

"What?" Lyra gawked, staring at the Slytherin across from her.

It was hard to take Regulus seriously, though. He had a moustache of whipped cream along his upper lip, and Lyra couldn't deny it was adorable. Something so heavy is being said by someone who hasn't realized there was something on his face. Snapping her mind back to attention, Lyra placed her drink down and shifted forward, leaning over the rickety table.

"You're joking, right?" Lyra whispered, eyes scanning Regulus's as he finally realized the mess he made, wiping his mouth, "Who?"

"I don't know," Regulus admitted, his voice coming out in a breathy sigh, "I just know that they're there."

"How do you know?" She asked, head tilting to the side as she watched his eyes that scanned around them.

Regulus let out another sigh before tugging a piece of parchment from his pocket, sliding it over to the blonde. Cocking an eyebrow, Lyra picked up the paper and unfolded it quietly, her own eyes darting around to make sure no one else was around. Whatever it was that Regulus was getting at, Lyra wouldn't let it be known to others. He seemed like a good man, and James trusted him, so there was no reason Lyra wouldn't.

'I've been playing double agent against the Dark Lord.

I'm trying to take him down from the inside and get information on his plans.

But I need your help doing so, and I need you to try and find who this rat is.

You can't tell anyone. Not Sirius, not James, not Lily, not Remus. No one can know.

If we can find out who it is, we may save a lot of lives together. But it has to be a secret operation, Lyra. Rip this note up if you'll do it.'

The blonde released an exasperated breath, folding the paper once more and tearing it up into small pieces. Regulus smiled at her actions, taking the answer with a gleeful acceptance. Lyra whispered a few curses underneath her breath before flicking her hand, the paper disappearing into dust and falling onto the floor. Silence fell over the two as Lyra stared at her lap, contemplating what she had just agreed to take part in.

She could go down as a hero if she did this. Lyra Potter wouldn't just be James Potter's twin sister or just another Gryffindor. She would be a life-saver and someone who did all that she could to take down Voldemort. From the blush that coated Regulus's cheeks, she was also sure that he meant business with it. After all, if he was a true Death Eater, then he wouldn't want Lyra to figure out who the mole was.

"Is that the only reason you asked me to meet you?" Lyra whispered, lifting her eyes to meet the green ones of the boy across from her.

Regulus's hearty laugh echoed around them, and Lyra felt silly for even asking the question. Of all of the things she could have asked while talking about undertaking a mission for the war going on, she wondered if he really liked her or if it was a ploy. To be fair, she really wanted to know if it was Regulus Black writing the letters to her. The writing of the note he gave her was similar, but she destroyed it too fast for her to truly compare. Plus, she would have needed to see the other messages she received to give a proper analysis. Then again, she was no forensic graphologist either.