Chapter III

It seemed that Lyra wasn't the only one who had taken notice of Pierre. Most of the other houses seemed to watch him with wide and adoring eyes, whispering about his good looks and sensual accent. Whenever she saw him walk by, a small group of younger students followed closely behind, watching his every move.

Lyra didn't know whether to roll her eyes or sympathize with the students. She didn't blame them; he was attractive. It only made sense that he'd be a hit with all of the students.

What Lyra didn't understand was how he was always with her brother and the others as well. Even in class, Pierre would sit with James, Remus, Peter, and Sirius. However, it seemed the fourth person in the group wasn't the biggest fan of that. It was only the first day of classes, and it already looked like he would hurt the new boy. Lyra wondered if perhaps the dark-haired boy was jealous of the splash the new student was making. She wondered if he worried that the french boy would take his spot as lady-killer and man-eater.

Lyra would pay thousands of galleons to see that fight. But with the way Sirius had looked at Pierre, she knew it would come free of charge.

-----

"I get that he's hot," Marlene muttered as she slid into her seat next to Lyra at lunch, "But if I get blocked in the hall one more time by a group of fourth years, I may lose it."

Lyra chuckled softly and took a bite of the potato on her plate, "They're just excited. We don't exactly get a lot of new students around here."

"Lyra's right," Dorcas piped up, "I'm just surprised Snivellus and his rat pack haven't taken him out. I figured he'd be a target for them."

"I think he might just steal James from me," Lily laughed as she nodded at the group of boys that entered the Great Hall, "He seems to have developed a bit of a boy crush."

Lyra chuckled softly before glancing down at the food on her plate. She understood why everyone was talking about him, but she couldn't help but wonder what it was that had brought him to Hogwarts. She had only known him for a day, so she knew it wasn't odd that he hadn't talked about it. But it was strange that a french student transferred to the school; it wasn't exactly a regular thing. It seemed Lyra wasn't the only one slightly concerned with that fact, but she refused to admit her and Sirius agreed on something.

"A little birdy told me he might be trying out for Keeper," Mary grinned, lowering her voice as the group got closer, "Wonder if Sirius knows that yet."

"He's got more of a Beaters build if you ask me," Marlene commented, tilting her head as she glanced at him, "I doubt James would pick Pierre over Sirius. Sirius is the best Keeper Gryffindor has seen."

"I would pay to see Sirius and Pierre fight for the Keeper spot," Lyra grinned to herself as she took a sip of her pumpkin juice, "I feel like most would. We should host a fundraiser!"

The other girls let out a chorus of laughs before small talk resumed once more. None noticed when the boys seemed to take a detour, not going directly to their seats. Lyra focused on her conversation with Lily, pondering what was going to happen at the Quidditch tryouts. She wasn't lying when she said it would be entertaining to see Sirius and Pierre go head to head. Mainly because it seemed Sirius already had a strong distaste towards the french student.

Lyra had considered trying out for Quidditch in their second year but decided she'd instead let James have his time to shine. Plus, it wasn't something that she was overly interested in. Sure it was fun to watch, and she enjoyed playing, but she didn't like the idea of pursuing it. James was more into it than she was, so she wasn't going to step on her toes. When he was on the pitch, James looked effortlessly happy. Lyra wasn't going to be the one to take that away from him.