Chapter 32: Angel-like voice

Mason Walton

Christmas. What a wonderful time of the year, right? Well, Christmas was my favorite holiday. I loved how my parents' house would fill up with family and friends. I loved how Helena's kids decorated my mother's giant Christmas tree. The joy this holiday brought us was indescribable.

Every year, Emily and the twins would decorate the whole house with my mom but refused to let anyone near the tree. They reminded me of Helena and me when we were just kids, we always wanted to put up the ornaments on our own.

Mom, Helena, and I were sitting on the couch watching the kids do their own decoration, knowing full well that as soon as they'd be out of the house mom would change it all to her taste. The kids knew it too, but they wanted to do it anyway while eating freshly baked cookies.

"You sure you want her to come every day?" Helena whispered to me.

I knew she was talking about Katrina. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact I forgave Katrina. The truth was, I still didn't remember what Katrina did, and I didn't even care. I was happy I found my childhood best friend, and for now, it was enough.

"Yes, Helena, let's not argue about that again. I have feelings for her, I want her here with me."

"But..."

"No. You need to respect my choice just like I always respected yours. You're my sister and best friend Helena. Please don't ruin that by pushing her away or being bitchy to her. We all know you can be a bitch when you want to."

She rolled her eyes and slapped my arm playfully. "I'm just looking out for you."

"And I love you for it. But please, let me remember what she did and decide by myself what I want to do about it."

"Okay... I think I can do that. But as I told you yesterday when she left, you two were never together so..."

"We weren't but things happened right?"

"Yes." She chuckled as Ryan sprayed glitter on Emily and mom gasped as the glitter flew around the room. "She'll have a heart attack."

"I can't watch this." Mom shook her head getting up, "I'm going to check on the cookies. Mason when is Kat coming?"

"She didn't say. She's spending the day with her family but she'll come around when she can. Why?"

"I just got used to having her around all the time. yesterday she left because of Eloise, and she was supposed to come back in the evening but she didn't..."

"You miss her?" Helena asked surprised.

"I actually do. I like her a lot! And if you'd stop worrying and being bitchy to her you'll see why." Mom shocked us both before leaving the living room.

"Am I the bad guy here?"

"Nah... you're just overprotective over your little brother." I ruffled her hair earning a groan accompanied by a punch on my shoulder.

"I'm still bruised you fucking idiot!"

"Uncle Mason cursed!" Emily poked Ryder's arm excitedly and then turned to Ryan "He needs to put a dollar in the cursing jar!" She reached for the jar that was hidden under the TV and came running with it to me.

I laughed reaching into my pocket and taking out a dollar before slipping it in. This jar has existed since I was six, and was made especially because of my foul mouth. But eventually, everyone started adding money to it since they all cursed and cussed. I watched them make a happy dance when Emily set the jar back and I glance at Helena who was laughing.