Chapter 31: Baby I never beg

Mason Walton

Drumming my fingers lazily on my knee, I watched as the curtains were forcefully drawn back by Katrina letting the sunrays shower my room with warm beams of light. She gracefully turned around giving me the brightest smile when she caught me staring. I smiled back and relaxed into my bed looking around my teenage room. It was still the same, posters everywhere, a guitar hanging on the wall, and picture frames on my desk.

My parents wouldn't let me go back to my apartment; they said staying with them would bring them peace of mind. I didn't argue much, I missed being around them. Sadly I couldn't remember everyone or everything but I was thankful for Jason who kept filling me in when people came to visit me at the hospital.

I glanced at Katrina and found her unpacking my bag while humming a familiar tune. I still couldn't remember her clearly. I knew who she was to me in high school, and I knew she was somehow important to me now, but I still didn't know how important. I had a feeling that we were very close. And I was the happiest when she was around which was pretty much all the time. She never left my side and insisted on coming home with us to help me settle in.

"Katrina you don't have to do that..."

She merely looked at me and shrugged "I know, but I want to."

I watched her closely as she folded my clothes and put them in the almost empty drawers. She looked tired with dark circles under her eyes. Her hair was pulled up into a bun showing the details of her face. I wasn't sure how she looked before but my mom kept telling her she needed to eat that she had gotten thinner in the past couple of weeks. Even like that... she is breathtaking.

"I still don't remember you..."

She pushed the drawer closed and went to lean on my desk crossing her arms gently, "It's okay, it's only been a week. It will come back to you. I know it will."

"I have strong feelings for you that I don't understand."

"But you have a girlfriend Mason."

"But I feel nothing toward her... you're familiar to me, she's like a stranger. And, she didn't do half what you did for me. You're always there, she barely visits." I wasn't even upset that Eloise didn't visit much. It didn't mean anything to me, and I was still not sure of her role in my life.

"Maybe she's working?"

I frowned "Right... what about you? Don't you work?"

She smiled "I took a sabbatical. Don't look so shocked! I have other plans in mind."

"Plans like?"

"Someone once told me to shoot for the moon and never give up. I gave up on something that meant so much to me, and it's time I follow my dreams."

Her voice was so soft and warm that I felt a pang of jealousy toward that 'someone'. I looked away trying to hide my disappointment. Her soft chuckle made me look at her with raised eyebrows.

"You told me that, Mason. You're the one that encouraged me to do what I love."

I let out a sigh of relief "I thought I had competition."

She shook her head looking at the framed pictures sitting on the desk behind her. She picked up one and traced her finger on it. I couldn't see which one it was and I got curious, she looked so deep in thought.

"Who is that?" She turned the frame toward and my smile grew wider.

It was a picture of me and a childhood friend. We were about four and had just gotten out of a fight with older kids.