Prologue

Mason Walton's

"Man, I can't believe you woke me up at five in the morning for a jog!"

I rolled my eyes at Jason and let out a frustrated sigh. "Can you just stop complaining like a little girl and up your game a little? We've only been running for ten minutes and you're already whining."

"Of course I am. I only got two hours of sleep because of you. Rejecting your calls and sending you to voicemail wasn't clear enough?"

This time I chuckled and shook my head recalling the events of this morning. Jason wouldn't pick up so I used my spare key to his apartment and woke him up with a bucket of iced water. It was mean but fun, and I just needed to run and take my mind off of things, and it wasn't my fault he just happened to be my cousin and best friend. Who would I go to if it wasn't him?

Of course, Adam and I were tight, but waking him up this early would piss off my sister and she'd probably kill me.

"I'm sorry bro, I needed this" I simply said as I stared ahead of me.

"Yeah I know, or I would have kicked you out of my apartment after the stunt you pulled. Anyway, payback is a bitch so beware."

We both chuckled and sped up a little, running in comfortable silence. He knew I wasn't in a good place, and also knew I wasn't ready to tell him what really went down. Being the great friend he is, he never pestered me for information, he was just waiting for me to be ready to share and I was grateful for it.

Running through Central Park was a daily routine for me. Most days I would run alone, but other days I would run with Celine. Come to think of it, I might have chosen the wrong place to try and take my mind off as I couldn't help but remember every time I came down here with Celine. Every spot we stopped for a break or a kiss or a hug. The memories were still strong, and the wound was still too fresh.

I suddenly stopped running and ran a hand through my hair shutting my eyes trying to shake her image from my mind. She was toxic and has been my weakness for years.

"Mase, are you okay?"

I slowly opened my eyes to see a worried Jason staring at me confused. I smiled slowly at him and nodded. I didn't want to seem vulnerable but with Jason, I could be myself without worrying about what he might think of me. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and regain control of my thoughts.

"I broke up with Celine" I blurted out before sitting on a rock at the side of the running track, soon to be joined by Jason.

"Yeah... I knew that much. It was obvious when you stayed at your dad's hotel for a few nights, just before Celine Flew out to Istanbul."

"After two years of love and living together... I had to break up with her."

I chuckled pathetically as Jason stayed quiet "I'm so pathetic! I was going to propose Jay!"

"You're not pathetic brother, you were just in love. But why did you leave?"

"I couldn't stay in the same house with her after knowing what she did. I loved her more than anyone, I trusted her like a blind man. I just couldn't bear to see her face again..."

"What did she do?"

"What didn't she do? She cheated, repeatedly and as if that's not enough to break me, she stole from me."

I just couldn't understand why she would do something like that. I didn't care about the money she stole from my safe at home, but I hated the fact that many people warned me about her and I wasn't seeing anything. I thought she loved me the way I loved her, I thought we were going to grow old together and have a family. But it turned out every time she told me she loved me or missed me was a big fat lie that I was desperate to believe.

"Wait... she stole from you? How? What? Are you sure she did? She comes from a wealthy family and her job paid her well... I just..."

"I had my doubts at first... seeing cash missing from my safe but never thought about it, thinking I might have spent it and forgotten about it. But when grandma's ring went missing... I lost it. I gathered the staff and threatened to call the police. That's when Amy told me she saw Celine wearing it a few days back."

"Of course, you didn't believe Amy. So that's why you fired her?"

I nodded feeling ashamed. "I didn't want to believe her, because I didn't know if I could forgive Celine for stealing it knowing how much this ring meant to me." I took a drink from my water and got on my feet now facing Jason.

"Do you remember Roberto?" Jason nodded "He called me last year, told me he saw Celine with a guy at a club, saying they were pretty close, and asked if we broke up. I didn't believe him either and called him a jealous liar."

"Man! Roberto would never lie to you, he's a good guy!"

"I know. Anyway, I got another call a few months back from Tara..."

"My Tara?" I nodded looking down in shame "She never told me about it" Jason frowned.

"That's because I told her to stop spreading rumors and not to mention this to anyone no matter what. I was a jerk to her. That's why she's been avoiding me lately."

"I could punch you right now Mason! That's my fiancé! You can't hurt her man, she loves you like a brother!"

"And you think I don't regret hurting her? I've regretted it every single day and tried many times to apologize but she just shut me down, and she has every right to do so."

Jason shook his head and ran a hand through his hair "Two-person telling you your girlfriend is cheating on you should have triggered the alarms in your head! What were you thinking?"

"I didn't want to believe she was a bad person, I just couldn't believe I've been a fool all this time!"

"Well, you were! What made you see the truth?"

"Seeing her with my own eyes. Tara texted me an address last week and said something along the lines of 'see for yourself. I got curious and went to the restaurant. I saw Celine kissing a man. A man old enough to be her father!"

"Tara is just stupid for helping you after what you did."

"Yeah... I wasn't surprised she did after everything, she's always cared for me as much as you do. Anyway, I joined them at their table and introduced myself as her boyfriend. The old guy was shocked and got angry and started telling her she wasn't worthy of all the money and jewelry he spent on her. Apparently, he proposed to her and she said yes."

"So she's a gold digger huh?" Jason didn't seem surprised. Just like Helena, he didn't like Celine from the start. He just tolerated her for Adam's sake. Come to think of it, they all did. I kicked off a small rock before sitting back down.

"Yes. We went home together and got into a huge fight, she completely lost it and started throwing things at me, but in the end, she confessed to cheating on me. Saying I was never enough for her, I never fulfilled her deepest desires."

"Never enough my ass! She should be thankful for everything you did for her! Stupid bitch! Please tell me you got the ring back?"

I nodded "After Grandma's ring went missing, I had a camera installed in my office without telling anyone including Celine. She kept taking money without telling me so I knew she had the ring. Before I left the house I told her she had five days to put the ring back in the safe and leave my house or I'd press charges on her. She probably got scared and put it back, she even left before her time was up, but I dreaded going back home so I stayed at the hotel."

"You know what? Good riddance! She was never the right girl for you, we all hated her but just went with it because we thought you were happy! There are plenty of great women out there, and I'm sure you'll find the right one to share your life with."

"What? no no no, I'm done having a girlfriend or fiancé or whatever, from now on, I'm all for one night stands and that's it! No strings attached."