Chapter 3: It's not me, it's you

Mason Walton

I punched in the bean bag one more time hearing a groan coming from Jason. I chuckled and pulled away taking off my boxing gloves. It was six in the morning and as usual, I woke Jason up so he could come to the boxing studio with me. I was never really into boxing but when I broke up with Celine, there was so much anger that Adam suggested I take a few sessions here. I was reluctant at first but ended up being dragged here by the one and only Jason. He wasn't much of a boxer either and only came here for my sake. I grabbed my towel and dried my face before joining him on the bench.

"Mason, we need to talk. It's not working... it's "

"It's not me it's you. Aren't bored of repeating this to me every time I wake you up?" I chuckled punching him playfully on the elbow.

"I'm not, I'm just hoping one day you'll realize you need a new best friend."

I stared at him for a few seconds before erupting in laughter. He seemed so serious saying it that if a stranger heard him he would have believed his words, but I knew better.

"Look at the bright side, it's been a month since I woke you up this early."

"Yeah I wonder what happened yesterday" he rolled his eyes "You're so hard to keep up with. Did Adam give you a hard time about Alina?"

"Nop, believe it or not, he didn't even mention it."

Jason blinked at me a few times not even trying to hide his surprise "I'm sure he had his own motives. Adam never let anything slide just like that."

"Of course, he needed me to help organize and set a surprise for Helena" we both chuckled.

"Okay, then what happened?"

That was Jason for me. Always concerned about me and even when I was a pain in the ass he was there for me. I drank down the whole bottle of water and got on my feet looking around.

"Nothing happened, I just needed to work out a bit."

"Next time take a run with max, I bought him on your birthday for a reason."

I smiled at the mention of Max, he was a golden retriever Jason got me last year on my birthday as a joke so I would take Max with me on my runs instead of waking him up. and the funny thing is, it actually worked. I kept waking Jason up, of course, I couldn't stop it was a hobby but I started going on runs around central park with Max every day. He was a good companion and a loyal friend.

"I was wondering... do you remember Katrina Johnson?" I asked Jason while looking at the boxing bag so I wouldn't meet his eyes.

"Aha! I knew something was up! of course, I remember her, she was the cute innocent girl you kept harassing during high school." He mocked me relaxing against the wall.

"I did not harass her! I just wanted to talk..."

"And she obviously didn't want to since she kept running from you" he cut me off smugly "That's considered harassing."

"Only in your world" I muttered regretting bringing it up.

"Anyway, what about her?"

"I saw her yesterday, and the man she's changed. If she was beautiful in high school she's drop-dead gorgeous now!"

"Oh, and lover boy melted in her beauty... the end."

"Stop being a jerk, Jace!"

Jason chuckled "alright I'm just teasing you. That's payback for waking me up at four in the morning. Now tell me, where did you see her? Did you sleep with her?"