Chapter 23

Grayson's POV

I organize the folders of patrol reports and maintenance requests before entering the Head Alpha office where father is waiting. Usually these are saved to be discussed over the weekend, but now that the football session is over (we didn't get far in the playoffs) we have these meetings at 4 every other day. Nothing too crazy shows up in them, besides the recent rogue attacks, so I'm shocked to see the pack Elders waiting in the office with father.

Well, three of them: Elder Farkas, Elder Blair, and Elder Mayweather.

Elder Mayweather is a legend in healing practices amongst gammas; who helped advance techniques to where even omegas could learn how to heal too. Despite being 95, she still has a kind smile that makes her look young. She's wearing a long-sleeved gown with her long white hair in a braid behind her, and has a gigantic bag sitting on her lap. Which I'm pretty sure has enough supplies in there to fully stock a hospital by the look of it.

Elder Farkas is a tall, dark-skinned beta with a salt and paper afro, sporting some business casual attire. They're the youngest Elder in the group, if you can call 79 years old young, but made a name for themself as the peace keeper between all nine packs in the area. That's probably why they're the easiest Elder to talk to, since they actually listen to what someone has to say. 

Then there's Elder Blair. He commanded this pack's armies before Mr. Warden, and I've heard rumors from older pack members that he used to run soldiers into the ground. Only calling the strongest and most ruthless wolves his soldiers. With everyone else being deemed "pawns", or worse "meat shields". Even standing here now, as a retired veteran, he commands respect with judgmental, ice-blue eyes that always look down on others.

He's also the ex-Head Alpha, and my grandfather.

"Did something happen that I'm not aware of?" I ask, closing the door behind me.

"No, nothing has happened. The Elders usually come by around this time to check on the new Head Alpha and Luna. However due to your... special circumstances, they're just here for you," father says.

"Oh, okay,' I say, placing the folders on the desk. Greaaat, I sure this will be fun. I mean, Eli and I are... getting along(?)... but we're definitely not dating. Let alone becoming mates. Maybe I should lie and say that I found a suitable Luna replacement. Nah, they'll have some weird old people way of knowing that I'm lying. Shit. I take a seat in one of the office's chairs, with Elder Mayweather occupying the other one, and Elders Farkas and Blair standing along the wall near her.

Elder Farkas starts the questioning, pulling out a notepad. "So, how have you been, young alpha?"

"Good. I've mostly been focusing on school and Head Alpha duties right now. The football season just ended so I have more time for pack stuff."

"I heard about that. From the few games that I was able to catch, your team seemed really skilled."

"Thanks. We could have gone further, but we faced one of the best teams in the league early on and got our butts handed to us."

"Sorry to hear that, but I hope that you were able to enjoy your time on the team."

"Yeah, no, it was fun. Plus, most of the guys from the team are going to join our troops after graduation. So, I'll get to work with them again.

"That's nice. So, how are your new powers treating you?"

"Great so far, I've been training to better control my enhanced strength as a wolf, and I even recently used Camouflage for a ...stealth mission." I don't know how much they know about the attacks, so I'll just keep the details vague for now.