forty six

chapter forty six:

Endings and beginnings
———

In a restaurant on the thirty fourth floor of a skyscraper sat Thyme along with the Empicca family. The lunch was set up to talk about their recent arranged engagement. More specifically, it was set up to talk about the date of their marriage. Thyme was getting antsy. He planned to try and convince Lita's parents to call off the engagement but couldn't find the right timing to bring it up. It didn't help that the Empicca couple was explaining that the marriage wasn't a simple matter — it had a lot more impact in the business world than they could even imagine. Nor did it help that Lalita was sitting in the chair next to him. The fact that she claimed she was going to ask for the wedding to be pushed sooner made him uneasy. Finally, he interrupted the one sided conversation.

"Excuse me," he stated as he sat up straight in his chair, "I have something important to tell you."

Lita could hear her own heartbeat. She let out a shaky breath and spoke up, "I'd like to call off this engagement,". Her parents sat there stunned, "Call off the engagement?," her mother stuttered, "What happened? Please tell me."

"It's because I know that he..." Lita suddenly stepped violently on Thyme's foot causing him to curse. "He's volatile!," she yelled out, "See? He just got mad for no reason and when I try to teach him a lesson, he'll yell back at me. Look,". Lita reached over and pulled his hair. Of course, Thyme protested and tried to get her to let go of his precious locks.

"See? Normally he uses harsher words! All the time I've spent with him, he brings me nothing but trouble. When I first met him he was going to leave me in the middle of nowhere! I had to hop on his back like this," Lita jumped on top of Thyme and the two began to argue. Eventually, Thyme managed to escape and looked at her like she had gone insane, "What's the matter with you?"

"Don't come any closer!" she yelled, "I hate you. I freaking hate you! Mom, Dad,  I'm begging you, please call off this engagement for me!," she was breathing heavily. Lita wasn't quite sure if her breathing was due to her anger or her attempt to not cry out of heartbreak. "I don't want to be married to him. This guy is no good! He's not my type at all. The man I will love must be a good man," a tear escaped her eye, "who brings me joy when he's around. Warm and kind-hearted and committed. That's why I can't love him! I really can't! Therefore I beg you, call off this engagement!"

Her dad gave her a warm embrace as Lita began to weep. She was mourning what could have been. But Lita knew deep down that she was doing the right thing. Her dad assured her that the wedding would be called off and her mother consoled her.

"Lita," Vinny called out from the door of her bedroom. The girl was currently under the covers sniffling over her official cancellation that happened earlier that day. Vincent approached her and sat at the edge of her bed. He grabbed the edge of the blanket and pulled it down to reveal Lita. He smiled at her and lifted up a bag from a dessert shop and gave it a small shake, "I brought you marmalades! I know they're your favourite,".

Reluctantly, Lita sat up and grabbed the bag from him before muttering a small thank you. Vinny brushed her hair away from her face and then proceeded to wipe her tears with the hem of his shirt. "There! Now you look pretty, just like before."

Lita rolled her eyes. To anyone else, that comment would have seemed like a flirtatious advance but she knew better. Vincent was just a natural charmer. And as much as she hated to admit it occasionally he did make her feel like the only girl in the world. Nevertheless, she knew that he didn't mean his compliments in a romantic way.

"Don't patronise me," she groaned as she bit into a marmalade, "these are incredible."

He chuckled at her and attempted to grab one from her. Unfortunately his hand was swatted away. After ten minutes of sitting in silence — enjoying the presence of the other person — a tear fell down her cheek. Alarmed, he scooted closer to her and pulled her in close for an embrace.

"God I'm pathetic, no ones ever going to marry me if I keep crying over a fake relationship!," she said between sobs.

Vincent listened carefully and spoke up.

"I would."

———a/n

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH (i don't think anyone saw that coming!)

lil meow meow: