Chapter 12: A Thirst for the Forgotten

Start from the beginning

"Oh please, this is our lair. Me, you, Iris, and The Master."  Pitch told me while gesturing to the large, dark place. 

"Pitch, did you bring him?" shouted someone from the high book mountain. Pitch grabbed my arm and in seconds we were at the top.

"Yes, he is here." said Pitch to the man (or thing) sitting in the chair. Pitch bowed slightly and shoved me down so i would bow too. The chair turned and The Mater himself was in front of my eyes. His entire body was made of black smoke and his eyes were completely white. I mean there was no iris or anything. All white. It was terrifying. 

"Ahh, hello Jack. We've been waiting for you to come back to us for a long time. But you aren't ready." he said in a dark and raspy voice.

"What do you mean I'm not ready? Of course I am..." I said confused. He narrowed his eyes as I complained and I instantly stopped.

"I mean you aren't ready. Let's just say you aren't ready to do the things I wish for you to do. Pitch here will prepare you. Sound good?" he turned in his chair as I agreed. 

"But first, you need some rest. I know you've had a very eventful and no doubt stressful day. You'll need to work up your strength. In fact, we'll begin your converting in a couple days. Now go. Rest." said The Master. I wanted very badly to start right away, but he is right. And from the looks of it, he does not like being questioned in his authority.

I looked to Pitch, who just shrugged. He turned and went up to his seat in the low corner of the room. There was a bed right in the corner, barely seen as the shadows covered it. I realized then that I was supposed to find my own place in this huge lair. It occurred to me that I haven't seen Iris anywhere. Meh, who knows where she it right now. 

I looked around to find a spot for myself, and after a little while of searching, I finally found it. It was on the top of a bookshelf. The top of it was about 10 feet below the ceiling, and it was about 100 feet tall. There was a window up there that showed the moon, but slightly hidden behind a couple of almost dead trees.

I hopped up and sat near the window, watching the wind blow through the bare branches, making them tremble in the chilly night air. Then I heard a voice from behind me.

"Y'know Jack, you and I are quite alike. I was gonna pick that spot.. The Master made me choose another one." said the cold voice of Iris. I jumped, being startled by how much she has changed. He once colorful hair was now all black. Her bright ice blue dress was black as well, covered in a black matte glitter. Even her skin looked tinted gray. The only thing that remained the same were her eyes. They were as colorful as they were when I saw her for the first time.

Right as I was taking in the changes that were right in front of me, I had a huge strain of pain ripple through me. It started like a headache and coursed throughout my entire being. I yelped in pain, groaning at the familiar feeling of a nightmare.

"It's Rose.. I-I think she's uhh.. she's having a nightmare." I struggled to form my sentence, being completely taken over with the pain.

"I wouldn't be surprised if she's having a nightmare. I mean she did banish the one person she said she loved. Add that to the fact that you're not there to take away the existing nightmare.. It must be unbearable." she told me with a smirk. I rolled my eyes at her logic, but deep down I heard the truth of it.

"I know a way to make the pain stop. I can help you." she said, her face gaining seriousness.

"Tell me, I'll do anything. Please." I begged, gripping my head in pain. 

"If you love another person, your emotion bond will be blinded by your love, no matter how fake that love may be." she suggested, a small sadistic smile growing on her face every other second. Then she leaned over, right next to my face, and whispered yet another suggestion. "Use me, Jack. Love me."