Finale- Kats POV

***
My own whimper startled me awake to reveal a dark and empty void. I slowly rose from where I laid, not entirely sure of when I feel asleep, and began walking. Not in any particular direction, I just need to get somewhere, but where?

I felt like no matter how many steps I take, I'd never reach my destination; instead my feet continued to get heavier with every passing minute/hour? I'm not sure how long I have been walking before my body started to feel lighter. Like a weight was slowly being lifted off my chest, and then something surprising stunned me and I came to a stop.

A dazzling silver light shone through the void and looked bold against the contrasting darkness, commanding my absolute attention.

'Kat...' A soft voice spoke my name so faint I wasn't sure I had even heard it. I looked toward the light and squinted against it's brightness. Something about it seemed... familiar.

'Kat my dear,' her sing song voice called to me once more before the light dimmed to reveal her face.

Upon first sight i felt my eyes prick with tears, 'Mother?'

She smiled kindly, 'It's ok sweetheart. In this tealm, I'm known as The Moon Goddess.'

It took a moment for me to comprehend her words. Did I just hear her right?

'You're not crazy dear. This is real, I'm real. I'm your Mum and also The Moon Goddess. It's hard to comprehend I know, but listen carefully.

Once every 100 yrs I'm reborn into the werewolf community, completely erasing my previous lives and only remembering them in my passing.

This century I was blessed with the miracle of meeting my other half, my Mate and your Father. I was blessed once again with two beautiful children; your brother and yourself.

I knew you were special, we all believed in you and I'm sorry I couldn't be there to help you through your rough past. But I have always been here, watching you grow into a strong and beautiful young lady.'

My tears fell freely and ran slowly down my face as my Mother's words warmed my heart.

'Dear Kat, there isn't much time left. Derek has prayed that he exchange his own life, for yours...'

Her words hit me with an unforeseen force. Was Derek the reason I felt the overbearing weight slowly lifting?

Without hesitation I rapidly shook my head in protest. Derek needs to live, not just for my sake but for his pack's. Why would he even consider it? What did I mean to him?

After I left I thought of him everyday, but I never thought he would give me a second thought...

I pleaded, not with The Moon Goddess, but with my Mother to not let Derek sacrifice himself for me. I may have never told him, but my love for him means more than my life, for he is my life and without him in it...

My Mother simply smiled as she understood. 'Then it shall be my Dear,' and with that I felt myself slowly growing heavier again.

'Kat, I'm sorry I can't answer all the questions you surely have but just know this; Everything may not be the same or as it seems. Everything will be ok and your time isn't over, you have yet to live to your full potential.'

Slowly she started to fade, and so did my questions. Overjoyed with seeing my Mother once more, I smiled widely as blackness consumed me again before revealing a site I thought I'd never see again.

His handsome features and rich brown eyes found mine, relief and sorrow washed over him.

'Derek...'

**********************************
Wrapped tightly in some veil thing, Derek carried me in his arms all the way back to his house, but not before ordering Cole to keep quiet... Just for the night. How else were they suppose to explain my sudden awakening?

Back at Derek's house, he carried he upstairs and to his room, not the room I had been staying in. He gently placed me down on the bed before walking into his closet.

I sat there anxiously, my thoughts and emotions whirling from the recent past events. What did my Mother mean that 'everything may not be the same?'

I knew it wouldn't go back to the way it was, too much had happened for it to return to what was before. I died, but then I came back. Something like that doesn't just happen, it always came with a price. But what was the cost?

As Derek continued to rummage through his closet, for what I'm not sure, but hopefully it was something warm for me.

My body has started to decline in temperature, but why? Werewolves were naturally warm creatures as our blood runs hotter than normal. Why was I now feeling the cold?

As that thought ran out of control and consumed me, I realised that something was different. I felt like I was missing something, something important.

I looked to see Derek rummaging and cursing slightly under his breath, and trying to calm my now racing heart.

What ever was different, what ever has changed was now pulling at me and making a void inside me. What was happening?

Derek finally found what he was looking for, a large sweatshirt that was twice the size of me. He stood in front of me and smiled again in relief, but never saying a word.

He held out his hand holding the sweatshirt, offering me to take it, to put it on and be surrounded by it's warm fabric. But I didn't move.

It was like I was stuck, watching everything play out in front of me as I slowly began to panic within.

Derek hadn't noticed my already racing heart as he slowly pulled back the veil, leaving me cold and exposed. But his eyes never lingered from mine as he slipped the shirt over my head.

I loved that he was so kind, caring and respectful of my privacy to never let his eyes stray across my body. I wanted to smile, to reach out to him but I couldn't.

Something inside me was screaming that something was wrong. And when Derek touched me I had a shocking realisation. I didn't feel the electricity that use to spark between us.

I found Derek's eyes, he hadn't noticed. Was it I who no longer felt the same? What was going on!?

With my realisation, my panic began to rise along with my rapidly beating heart. It was then Derek heard the irregular increase in it's beats, his brows furrowing in concern.

'Kat, what's wrong?' His husky voice pleaded, but it was too far away.

I didn't want to think it true, I wanted my theory to be a fabrication of my almost deceased imagination. I pleaded softly to myself that I would be able to shift.

I stood there, Derek's mouth moving and not producing any sound, as I decided I needed to know. Not caring that I had just been covered with clothing, I needed to know if I was still able to shift into my wolf.

I closed my eyes and imagined my Wolf form; strong, proud, beautiful and elite. With fur as white as snow and black, as dark as night, and waited for the ache in my bones.

But... it never came. I couldn't even feel my body responding. It was like that part of my ability had been erased, like it had disappeared completely.

That must have been the price I paid for my second chance at my crazy life. A price I didn't know I had paid, a price that will pain me for the rest of my life.

Tears stung my eyes and I cried out so loud it surprised Derek and caused him to wrap me in a tight embrace.

He knew not of why I cried that night. He didn't know I had lost a part of me, the part that had been through so much to come out on top. The only part of me that bound me to my family... and to him.

My loud sobs rang out through the night as a part of me died inside, not knowing if I would ever be able to shift into my Wolf again.