Chapter 7

Louis - 2021 - pt. 7

Louis sat down at the familiar kitchen table as Harry placed a plate of pancakes down and sat across from him. It was silence for a few minutes, Louis was afraid to talk because all they've done since the meeting is fight and have sex. Not that Louis didn't enjoy the sex part. But he didn't know what to say. Luckily, Harry broke the awkward silence, poking at his food with his fork.

"So, um, how are the girls? And Ernie of course."

"They're good. They miss you a lot. Lottie especially brings you up every time we're together."

"That's like my mum. She's always telling me off about you. Always telling me to just call."

"And, um, why didn't you?" Louis glanced down at his plate.

"I could ask the same thing. I didn't because it was up to you. It would've been selfish. You left me and left me a note, not that it said much, but you left me a note- a goodbye note- so it was up to you. The next move was yours to make. It would've been selfish of me to try and make you stay when you didn't want to."

"I'm sorry. I really am Harry. I never called because I thought you were done with me. I thought you had given up and stopped caring and stopped loving me. I left the note because I didn't want you to think you meant nothing to me. And I needed you to make sure you'd remember what it said."

"Louis, I love you but you're an idiot. I'm sorry for not calling, but you should've."

"I know, I know." Louis sighed, shaking his head. "I'm sorry. I love you too."

"It's alright. Let's just... how about that walk?" Harry smiled and put his fork down, pancakes cleared off his plate.

"Okay."

As the two left the house, Harry had slipped his hand into Louis, setting off all too familiar butterflies in Louis' stomach. In the past 24 hours they've talked, kissed, hugged, fucked, and cried, but this... this isn't about hunger and longing. It isn't about desperation and need. It's about just being there. It's so simple and innocent. It's the biggest sign to Louis that Harry still loves him. That he didn't just want him for a shag or closure. He wanted to hold his hand. He just wanted to be close again. And Louis wanted it too.

"Hazza?"

"Yeah, Lou?" Harry answered, gently swaying their hands together as they turned out of their driveway. Their driveway. Louis doesn't know when it happened but at some point in the last 24 hours, the house felt like home again. Their home. Not Harry's home or Louis' old home; Harry and Louis' home.

"I love you."

"I know," Harry smirked in response.

"I'm trying to be serious here, H." Louis rolled his eyes but with a smile nevertheless.

"Oh, wait. I forgot my line! I meant to say, 'I love you too.'" Harry grinned.

"Right." Louis shook his head.

"I've just realized that we haven't exactly 'caught up' yet." Harry chuckled nervously. "We've just sort of fought and stuff."

"Oh yeah, um, how have you been?"

"Well, not great." Harry laughed lightly. "Pretty broken-hearted. You?"

"Uh... same. I mean, you've heard the album. All sad shit. But I'm doing a bit better now."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I have you back. And I'm never letting you go again." Louis shyly looked down, watching their steps as the walk progressed.