𝖎. Alone

🥀 WRECK 🥀
ONE: Alone

The Coldwell manor was cold. Perhaps it was because of the open windows that brought in the chilly autumn breeze, but in truth, Coldwell Manor had always been, well, cold. From the frosty judgemental stares of the portraits of her ancestors that hung on the walls, to the shocking temperature of the polished marble flooring ━ it was all cold. Freezing, glacial, suffocating...cold.

It came as an ironic joke that Juniper did not like the cold. She hated it, always had. She hated the goose bumps that trailed down her limbs due to the cold, and she hated the way they made her skin look dented and lumpy. Juniper hated her cold hands that would never, no matter how hard she tried, seem to warm up.

And then there was another coldness Juniper resented. The coldness of her mother's stare, and the way her words would strike Juniper like frosty whips of ice. Adaline Coldwell was a cold woman ( ironic much? ), and by now Juniper should have been used to it, welcomed it even. For how much more could a heart grow stony? Well, if there was one thing Adaline Coldwell had taught her daughter, it was that her heart could always grow colder.

There weren't many things that upset Juniper easily, she was rather good at turning a blind eye to things ( and people ), but Adaline Coldwell was not one of those. Adaline Coldwell was a harsh mother and she knew it, she was proud of it ━ tough love was one of her main parenting techniques. Her older son, Jude, had thrived under it, but Juniper? Not so much.

The only reason Adaline believed that she should be extra harsh on Juniper was because of her powers. In order to control and manipulate her powers, Juniper must be restrained and disciplined ━ or at least that's what Adaline believed.

Juniper thinks it's a load of bullshit. She doesn't think her mother should use Juniper's powers as an excuse to emotionally abuse her, but she will never say this to her mother's face. That would be a death wish. So, Juniper learns to endure the harshness of her mother, the absence of her father and the obliviousness of her brother ━ all of them were cold in their own, very different ways. 

"Oi, get your arse up!" 

A pillow collides with Juniper's sleeping frame, still tangled in her duvet with drool dribbling down her chin. She pulls herself up with a start, blinking at the tall frame of her twin brother who was in her room. "What the hell, Jude?"

He rolls his eyes impatiently before giving her a judgemental stare, "Mum wants to have a chat with you before we leave for school."

Juniper's sleep stricken brain fails to process the information correctly, "Why?" 

Jude shrugs uninterestedly, "Don't know, don't care. Although, I'd suggest you hurry up. You know she doesn't like to be kept waiting." And then he leaves, retreating back to his room where he likes to wallow in self-pity.