Meeting the Parents

Grey~

Tonight's the night.

My parents are meeting Evangeline, and hopefully this is the first time people will actually believe that her and I are dating.

I anxiously await her arrival, through the deep brown doors of the building. My parents, seem to be getting inpatient.

"Please be kind to her, okay? She might be a little shy, and she's still really young." I practically beg my parents.

"We will Grey. Don't worry about us." My mother smiles at me.

I straighten my tie, as Evangeline walks through the tall doors, wearing an elegant, silk dress. Pink, just like she decided. It hugs every part of her body just right. Her long blonde hair, sits in a loose braid, pulled into a bun.

She's a queen in a room full of townsfolk. The center of attention to everyone. I don't realize it until she gets closer, but she's decked out in WrightLen jewelry. Necklaces, Earrings, Bracelets, Rings. All of it, WrightLen. I hate to say I'm incredibly impressed by the precise detail each piece has.

"You look lovely." I say, she adjusts my pocket square. My body feels frozen at her touch.

"As do you." She smiles at me. Her eyes glistening in the soft light.

"Evangeline, I'd like you to meet my parents." I softly say.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Wright." My father reaches his hand out to shake hers.

"Please, call me Evangeline. It is an absolute delight to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Kline." She shakes theirs.

"We do appreciate you being here." My mother smiles at Evangeline.

"Thank you for the opportunity." Evangeline says.

I don't know how she does what she does. Staying so calm talking to people who I'm sure she's grown up hating. Knowing the exact words to say, pleasing everybody around her. Her elegance and precise movements, make her seem much older than she is. If I hadn't been told, I would have assumed she at
least twenty five.

I gently grasp her hand, in efforts to make people believe we are together. She wraps her fingers around mine. Her rings, are cold to the touch.

"You're parents seem very, skeptical about this." She softly says, keeping a smile on her face. I guide her through what I assume used to be a ballroom.

"The have their doubts." I mention. I have mine as well. Even asking her to do this, was a shock.

"Paparazzi is here already." Evangeline mumbles under her breath, her eyes darting from one side of the room to another.

"I forget that you've been out of the spotlight for so long, it must all be incredibly difficult." I try to sympathize.

"It's definitely not easy."

"If you don't mind my asking, why did they keep you out of it?"

"I've been wondering that same thing for twelve years." She laughs.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your seats at your assigned tables. Our event will be beginning shortly.

I pull Evangeline's chair out, and she sits down. I take my seat next to her, close enough that I don't look like I hate her, but enough that I can see the small tattoo on the lower part of her neck.

A small infinity sign, is carefully inked into her skin.

"We appreciate all who are in attendance today. A special thank you to KlineCo for funding this event, we will now hear a few words from former CEO of KlineCo, Ellis Kline."