15

1975, 23 December.

The first term was good. It was fine. He didn't exactly have anything to complain about. He was practically at the top of his classes, so now, with them going home for Yule break, there would be nothing his mother nor father could complain about, at least with him. He was sure Regulus did well as well this term, so he was safe from disappointment. Although just because their good work would guarantee them a lack of yelling at them, it didn't mean there wouldn't be criticized.

He was sat in a carriage with Corvus and Aaron as they were on the train back to England.

Polaris was still unsure of the exact grades he would be receiving for the Yule term grades. Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Astronomy, Muggle Studies and Herbology. All subjects that were compulsory.

With Transfiguration, he liked the classes but not the teacher. Perhaps the whole 'hex' situation and him getting in trouble with Corvus earlier in the year had put him in her 'bad graces'. He made sure to do well in her classes to get back a clean slate. The classes weren't difficult, but there were moments he did make mistakes to his annoyance.

Other than that, he liked the class and wished to learn more, which was why the 'room of requirement came into play. He had used the room to help him with transfiguration by reading the books it provided. The instruction and detailed explanations helped shape his skills, which seemed to be lacking compared to how he was able to perform now. There was no way after learning about this room. He wasn't going to use it to his advantage. The book he had taken from the room was so helpful that they were able to finish the project ahead of time.

Of course, there was still much to learn. He was just glad he was better than expected. At first, he was expecting perhaps, an Acceptable with the practical work, but perhaps his performance after he started using the room of requirement would push the practical grade to an Outstanding.

He hadn't been worried about the written test. He found them easy. All that was needed was to study, which he did. He flew through the questions, memorising precisely what was written. He didn't have time to use his own definitions, which his professor might deem insufficient, or perhaps what he said may be right, but not what they would be looking for.

He did it for all the classes he had a written exam in. Memorised everything that was needed to be learnt, all they had taught them. It was easy. All that was needed was a schedule, designating each day for a different subject, some days sharing subjects. He studied every day, and with the weekends, he designated the mornings and evening for studying while the afternoon was his time, where he did what he wanted. Thankfully, two weeks before the exams, they ceased handing out homework.

Transfiguration grade was based on assessments and a written exam. He was expecting an Outstanding overall.

Charms were solely based on your performance during the term assessments. Charms were his favourite class, it was the easiest, and after finding out about the room of requirement, he would practice the spells by using his wand. He was starting to get better at controlling it.

Potions were just a written exam, so you really had to make you were prepared. Some people usually just rely on assessments to help them pass but not with Potions. Potions was an interesting class. He did use some books from that 'room' and also had some tips from his brothers, Regulus' friend.

At first, the friend Snape was reluctant to help but decided to do it as a favour for Regulus. He wasn't all that bad for a half-blood.

History of Magic was his least favourite class. It wasn't because he was bad at it. It was because it was boring, all that information, it just went on and on. He was certainly not the only one to think so, with half the class dozing off or doodling. It was always amusing to watch Corvus write notes on their professor's spoke.