o1 - It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way

ابدأ من البداية

My long legs drew my attention; the hairs were still barely noticeable since I had never shaven, but now I felt really weird about strutting around with the hairs. Sure, I wore shorts all the time, showing off my legs, whenever I ran alongside the horses, keeping perfect pace with them sometimes, or riding on top of them... but, with this dress on, it didn’t feel right.

This wasn’t me.

So, with a sigh and a wish that Mum wouldn’t be mad, I changed out of the dress and into my best pair of blue jeans, green singlet and sneakers.

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I walked out of my room, which I shared with my 13 year old sister Jaydein, and into the kitchen.

Mum had her back to me, making some lunch for us.

Jaydein, the exact image of my mother, sat at the table, waiting. She looked up when I entered. She wore the same dress I had worn when I was her age – a frilly green dress which flowed to the knees. She smiled. “Hey, Elenie.”

“Hey, kid,” I smiled affectionately, sitting down beside her and patting her hair, which she scurried to dodge and make sure I hadn’t affected her fluffy style. “Excited about your first Reaping?” I mentally kicked myself after asking it. There was a chance she could be sentenced to death, even though she only entered her name twice, which was not something exciting.

She just shrugged. “I’m sad for all the people that have to go up.”

“Don’t worry, sweetie,” I sighed. “Just forget I even asked.”

“Asked what?” Mum asked, turning around and bringing over our lunch, which was plain bread with cheese on it. She past them down to us, not even bothering to get plates. She’s good like that. “Eat up.” As her gaze moved over my choice of clothes, she gave me a disapproving glare, which made me struggle to hide a smile.

“Nothing, Mum,” Jaydein said, digging into her lunch.

She sat down on the opposite side of the table, sighing in bliss when her bottom hit the chair. She eyed me as she ate her lunch, finally sighing after she had eaten half of it. “You’ve grown up so quick, Elenie.” She smiled slightly. “Just this Reaping and another... and then all I have to worry for is little Miss Jaydein.”

Jaydein scrunched up her nose in defiance. “I’m not little. I’m a big girl now. Plus, Mum, what are the odds? We only ever enter our name once each year. We’re perfectly fine.” She took a large bite into her sandwich. I mentally thanked her... I didn’t want to reply to Mum.

Mum’s gaze was on Jaydein, now. “I love you both so much.” She finishes her sandwich, standing. “Your Dad would have been proud.”

At her words, I froze, hands clenching around the sandwich, which almost fell apart under the pressure.

I hated to be reminded of my Dad. He died when I was 14. He had died because he worked with bulls... and bulls were dangerous. When they had lost control of the bulls, they trampled him.

It was the hardest thing I had ever had to go through; losing my father. I was closer to him then to the rest of my family members. No one had been able to comfort me, except for the horses. I have lost so many friends because of that accident... and I have yet to have time to actually go and join social life again... to continue being a teenager.