XXXIII.

Lucius turned and raised his wand at the members of the Order, but Tonks had already sent a Stunning Spell right at him. The Death Eaters were completely distracted by the appearance of the Order, who were now raining spells down upon them as they jumped from step to step toward the sunken floor. Remus and Sirius seemed to locate their daughter in the grip of two Death Eaters at relatively the same time as they began to barrel towards her with their wands raised. The two men holding her dropped her arms to raise their own wands and Lalia dropped to the ground as spells began firing above her. 

Lalia caught sight of Neville crawling along the floor and she quickly began following him. They crawled as low as they could away from the spells when Harry flung himself flat on the ground near them. 

"Are you okay?" Harry yelled as another spell soared inches over their heads. 

"Yes," said Neville, trying to pull himself up. 

"I'm fine," Lalia said, looking around at the Death Eaters and members of the Order above them. She desperately tried to locate her mum, hoping that the Order members did not harm her. 

"And Ron?" 

"I dink he's all right - he was fighding the brain when we left -" 

"I tried to stop it, but couldn't." 

The stone floor between their faces exploded as a spell hit it, leaving a crater where Neville's head hand had been seconds before. They immediately scrambled away from the spot, then a thick arm came out of nowhere, seized Harry around the neck and pulled him upright, so that his toes were barely touching the floor. 

"Give it to me," growled a voice, "give me the prophecy -"

Harry turned his wand backward toward the man's side, but seemed to have no breath due to the man's crushing grip on his windpipe to utter an incantation. The man's free hand was groping toward the hand in which Harry was grasping the prophecy -

"AARGH!" 

Neville had come lunging out of nowhere: Unable to articulate a spell, he had jabbed Hermione's wand hard into the eyehole of the Death Eater's mask. The man relinquished Harry at once with a howl of pain and Harry whirled around to face him, and gasped "STUPEFY!" 

The Death Eater keeled over backward and his mask slipped off. It was Macnair. 

"Thanks!" Harry said to Neville, pulling him aside as Sirius and his Death Eater lurched past, dueling so fiercely that their wands were blurs. Lalia stood and scrambled her way to the pair ungracefully. Her foot made contact with something round and hard and she slipped - Harry hurrying to grab her forearms and keep her upright. Lalia looked down and saw Moody's magic eye spinning away across the floor. 

Its owner was lying on his side, bleeding from the head, and his attacker was now bearing down upon Harry, Lalia, and Neville: Dolohov, his long pale face twisted with glee. 

"Tarantallegra!" he shouted, his wand pointing at Neville, whose legs immediately went into a kind of frenzied tap dance, unbalancing him and causing him to fall to the floor again. "Now, Potter -"

He made a slashing movement with his wand just as Harry yelled, "Protego!"

Harry felt something streak across his face like a blunt knife but the force of it knocked him sideways into Lalia, and they fell over Neville's jerking legs, but the Shield Charm had stopped the worst of the spell. 

Dolohov raised his wand again. "Accio Proph-"

Sirius hurtled out of nowhere, rammed Dolohov with his shoulder, and sent him flying out of the way. Now Sirius and Dolohov were dueling, their wands flashing like swords, sparks flying from their wand tips -