XXIX.

Exam season was upon the fifth years rather quickly. While Lalia was worried and spent most of her time studying, she even found Hermione overbearing.

The night before exams began, she sat with the trio at the Gryffindor table, though no one talked. Hermione had even brought her notes and book to the table to study while eating. Lalia rested her head on Harry's shoulder feeling utterly exhausted. The fifth years first exam was to be the Theory of Charms tomorrow morning..

"Oh, my goodness," Hermione said faintly, staring into the entrance hall. "Is that them? Is that the examiners?"

Her three friends whipped around on their bench. Through the doors to the Great Hall they could see Umbridge standing with a small group of ancient-looking witches and wizards. Umbridge looked rather nervous.

"Shall we go and have a closer look?" said Ron.

They hastened toward the double doors in the entrance hall, slowing down as they stepped over the threshold to walk sedately past the examiners. The tiny, stooped witch, who Lalia would later learn to be Professor Marchbanks was speaking rather loudly as though she may be hard of hearing.

"Journey was fine, journey was fine, we've made it plenty of times before!" she said impatiently. "Now, I haven't heard from Dumbledore lately!" she added, peering around the hall as though hopeful he might suddenly emerge from a broom cupboard. "No idea where he is, I suppose?"

"None at all," said Umbridge, shooting a malevolent look at their group, who were now dawdling around the foot of the stairs as Ron pretended to do up his shoelace. "But I daresay the Ministry of Magic will track him down soon enough. ..."

"I doubt it," shouted tiny Professor Marchbanks, "not if Dumbledore doesn't want to be found! I should know. ... Examined him personally in Transfiguration and Charms when he did N.E.W.T.s... Did things with a wand I'd never seen before..."

"Yes... well..." said Professor Umbridge as the group dragged their feet up the marble staircase a slowly as they dared, "let me show you to the staffroom... I daresay you'd like a cup of tea after your journey. ..."

The group made their way up the stairs where Lalia quickly said bye to them, muttering something about studying with her housemates.

The panic they all felt did not go away as they stood outside the Great Hall waiting for their class exam to be called. The seventh years were also there waiting patiently for their exams as well.

Once their exam started, Lalia felt a sense of relief as her eyes hurried over the page and she realized she could easily answer most of these questions.

After the written exam, the fifth years had lunch in the Great Hall which had changed itself back to normal rather than the exam room they had been in before. Lalia ate mindlessly, trying to remember the proper wand movements for the charms she expected to be tested on.

After lunch, the fifth years waited in the small chamber connected to the Great Hall, waiting for their names to be called. Small groups were called forward and Lalia was quite upset when she realized she would be in the first group.

"Hannah Abbot, Lalia Black, Mandy Brocklehurst, Susan Bones, Terry Boot, and Millicent Bulstrode," called Professor Flitwick.

Lalia's exam weeks continued. She felt confident that she had passed all of her classes so far. Herbology on Wednesday had been a little shaky, but she saved it. Defense Against the Dark Arts on Thursday had been a breeze thanks to her dad. Potions of Monday had gone well, but Lalia was nervous that it had not been well enough to get her the O that she desperately needed. Care of Magical Creatures on Tuesday was Lalia's easiest exam, between her previous knowledge and continued enthusiasm during Hagrid's class. Arithmancy that night, however, was much harder and Lalia was sure she was dropping the subject after this year. Astronomy on Wednesday morning was where Lalia had stumbled and she knew that if she did pass that she was getting no more than an A. Her Divination exam that afternoon though had been easy for her. She used what she had learned from Trelawney and Firenze both as well as her own natural capabilities and when she stood to leave the exam room, she noticed a smile on the centaurs face directed at her.