XXIV.

The following morning Lalia sat at Ravenclaw table, beign given food by a worried Mroag and Sue as she was practically drifting to sleep at the table. and when she was awake, she wasn't much better, acting like a zombie. 

"Li, did you sleep at all last night?" Morag asked, too worried about her friend to keep silent any longer. 

"I did, I did," she said, yawning. "Just had a lot of nightmares. Just a bad night. I'll be okay girls. Promise!" she added seeing the doubt on their faces. "I've got to go. Divination is starting soon." 

She grabbed the orane slices on her plate that Sue had peeled for and stuffed a couple in her mouth as she stood and left the Hall towards the new classroom. 

When she had arrived the majority fo the Gryffindors ahd already filled in. Lalia gaspeed when the classroom had looke drastically different than she expected. The walls looked like a forest and the floor was mossy with trees growing out of it. The leafy branches covered the ceiling. 

Lalia was shocked to realize that the new Professor was right in front of her greeting Harry. 

"Er- hi," said Harry, shaking hands with the centaur, who surveyed him unblinkingly through those astonishingly blue eyes but did not smile. "Er - good to see you..."

"And you," said the centaur, incing his white-blond head. "It was foretold that we would meet again."

Ron had already found a seat against a tree, while Harry was talking to Firenze and blocking Lalia. 

"Ah, Amatoria," the centaur whispered under his breath as he glanced at Lalia and moved away towards what must be the front of the classroom. 

Lalia stared worriedly after the centaur and only moved when Harry's hand gently found hers to guide them towards Ron. 

"Professr Dumbledore has kindly arranged this classroom for us," said Firenze, when everyone had settled down, "in imitation of my natural habitat. I would have preferred to teach you in the Forbidden Forest, which was - until Monday - my home ... but this is not possible."

"Please - er -sir -" said Parvati breathlessly, raising her hand, "why not?" We've been in there with Hagrid, we're not frightened!"

"It is  not a question of your bravery," said Firene, "but of my position. I can no longer return to the forest. My herd has banished me."

"Herd?" said Lavender in a confused voice. "What - oh!" Comphrension dawned on her face. "There are more of you?" she said, stunned. 

"Did Hagrid breed you, like the threstrals?" asked Dean eagerly. 

Firenze turned his head very slowly to face Dean, who seemed to realize at once that he had said something very offensive. 

"I didn't - I meant - sorry," he finished in a hushed voice. 

"Centaurs are not the seervants or playthings of humans," said Firenze quietly. There was a pause, then Parvati raise her hand again. 

"Please, sir ... why have the other centaurs banished you?"

"Because I have agreed to work for Professor Dumbledore," said Firenze. "They see this as a betrayal of our kind."

"Let us begin," said Firenze. He swished his long palomino tail, raised his hand toward the leafy canopy overhead then lowered it slowly, and as he did so, the light in the room dimmed, so that they now seemed to be sitting in a forest clearing by twilight, and stars emerged upon the ceiling. There were oohs and gasps, and Ron said audibly, "Blimey!"

"Lie back upon the floor," said Firenze in his calm voice, "and observe the heavens. Here is written, for those who can see," Lalia had glanced up as the voice seemed nearer to see Firenze standig nearby, staring down at her, "the fortune of our races."