More Than Colleagues (SS)

Start from the beginning

A few days later, it's time for the party. Severus waits for Y/N outside her private chambers. When she leaves her room, the Potions Master can't help but admire her dress. As a Ravenclaw, she has chosen blue. He must admit the colour does suit her.

He clears his throat. "Your dress is... very pretty" he mutters.

Y/N smiles. "Why, thank you, Severus. And you look very handsome in your black clothes" she tells him, blushing a bit.

He raises an eyebrow at that. "... Thanks. Now, shall we?" he suggests.

He's sure that she only complimented him back because she felt like she had to. She surely didn't mean what she just said.

As she nods, the two of them enter the Great Hall together. Severus notices that Albus and Minerva came here together, so did Filius and Pomona.

They decide to join the other professors.

"Welcome, everyone! As you can see, the teachers have dates as well. I thought it would be more fun that way - you students shouldn't be the only ones having fun! Now, it is time for all dates to dance together - that does include the teachers" the Headmaster announces.

Severus stiffens. He has to dance?

Y/N gently squeezes his shoulder. "Don't worry about it. If it helps in any way, I'm not a good dancer" she admits.

Sighing, the Potions Master nods as he helps her with the moves. For someone claiming not to be good at dancing, she's doing a really good job.

He notices the students whispering as they look at the two young professors dancing together. He chooses to ignore them and focuses on the dance instead.

Once it's over, Y/N smiles at him. "Thank you for the dance, Severus. I had a really good time" she says.

"So did I" he confesses.

As he watches her walk away, he can't help the feeling in his chest. Is he starting to have feelings for his colleague?
______________________________

It's Harry Potter's fifth year. Unfortunately, that means the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher is Dolores Umbridge...

Everybody hates her, both the students and the staff. Severus wonders if he should "accidentally" slip a dangerous potion into her morning pumpkin juice one day...

As he passes by the History of Magic classroom, he hears crying. Raising an eyebrow, Severus decides to check it out. He knocks on the door.

"Come in" a voice states. It's Y/N.

Severus immediately enters before clearing his throat. "I came by as I heard crying and thought I should check it out. Are you okay, Y/N?" he asks, wondering what could be wrong.

Y/N sighs. "It's Umbridge... Let's just say she was rather mean during her interrogation" she says as she sniffles.

Hearing what happened makes Severus angry for some reason.

"Let me know if she's ever being mean to you again, I will set the toad straight" he states.

As Y/N laughs, Severus can't help but follow suit. He hides it with a few coughs.

"Thank you, Severus. I really appreciate it" she says as she smiles.

Severus nods. "Well, as colleagues, we should stand up for each other" he states. He however wishes they weren't just colleagues.

"I was actually hoping we could be friends as well?" she hesitantly asks.

He blinks a few times. He is friends with a few of his colleagues, but not many of them.

He clears his throat. "I would love that" he says.

Well, now they are colleagues as well as friends. That's a good start.
______________________________

Everything seems so dark. The Dark Lord has taken over Hogwarts by making Severus the Headmaster.

The former Potions Master hates it. Everybody believes he killed Albus Dumbledore because he's on the Dark Lord's side.

They all hate him.

Severus sighs. Y/N surely hates him as well. If only he had told her a lot sooner how he feels about her, then maybe he could have told her everything. Maybe she would have believed him.

How he feels about her is quite simple - he's in love with his colleague.

But it's too late to tell her now - or is it? Does he still have a chance?

His thoughts are interrupted as one of the men in the portraits clear his throat. "You are needed at Malfoy Manor" the man states.

Sighing, Severus decides to fly to the location. As he enters the building, he's surprised to see Potter, Granger, Weasley, Lucius' former house elf and... Y/N?

Everything is chaotic - the Ravenclaw woman is fighting off the family together with the Trio.

As Bellatrix is about to hex Y/N, Severus saves her - of course, without blowing his cover. The crazy woman doesn't notice who saved her opponent. Good.

However, Y/N does - she's looking at her colleague, bewildered. He merely nods at her, silently telling her they need to get out of here.

As Bellatrix grabs Y/N's niece, Dobby saves her by dropping the chandelier. Lucius' crazy sister-in-law throws her knife at them before they apparate.

Severus can't help but worry - did any of them get hurt?

Lucius growls. "Great! They got away!" he shouts, looking furious.

Bellatrix laughs. "Well, I'm quite sure I got one of them" she states as she smirks.

The young Headmaster of Hogwarts truly hopes that she's wrong.
______________________________

Severus is lying on the floor in the Shrieking Shack, trying his best to breathe. He's dying.

The Dark Lord's snake bit his throat several times as its owner believed he had to kill the one who killed the Elder Wand's former owner.

As Severus is lying there, he can't help but regret not telling Y/N how he feels. All these years of working together with her has been a joy.

Well, not as much as the Yule Ball dance - he thinks of that every day.

As he's about to pass out, he can feel someone forcing a few potions down his throat. He tries his best to open his eyes to look at his saviour.

He's surprised to see the woman he loves - Y/N.

"Y-Y/N? I... I have to tell you something" he chokes.

However, she quickly interrupts him. "Shh, don't talk. We need to get you out of here. Besides, if you die, we won't become more than colleagues... More than friends" she says, smiling at him.

Severus widens his eyes. "How?" he asks, stunned.

"Harry Potter told me what he saw... One of the memories was of how you feel about me. I feel the same, by the way" she says, a few tears leaving her eyes.

Severus can't believe it - he didn't expect the Potter boy to tell her that. Well, he won't lie, he's glad that the boy did.

He wipes away her tears with his thumb.

"Well... Are you going to cry, or are you going to help me up?" he asks sarcastically, finding some strength to joke.

Chuckling, Y/N helps him up as the two of them hurry as much as they can to the Hospital Wing.

Severus lives - he recovers and gets into a relationship with the young Ravenclaw. He retires and spends his time gardening, reading and cuddling with his girlfriend.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Do You Really Love Him?" (SS, LM, HP) will be published on 5/9/2022!