𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩

〖Chapter warning: Very steamy, closed-door love scene.〗

Chapter 15.

The nightmares weren't even the worst part. Trauma had a way of its own, it played with Axel's mind. She was stuck in this constant cycle of the same scene of Gavin dropping onto the floor; after the commander made his death quick. Occasionally, the dreams convinced her that she was trapped on the same track and at the same moment. 

She couldn't run, it felt like the weight of the world pressed down on her, in the same kneeling position. Axel had been out cold for days, occasionally Magnus, Marcus, or Anna would check on her. But nothing, she wouldn't 't give a sign that soon she would awaken.

Something went on inside her head, that imprisoned her consciousness, while her body continued to heal. Magnus surrendered his bed to Axel, after everything that has happened between the two. 

He couldn't help but feel terrible for the introductions in the begging. Magnus sat on the stone floor next to the fire. A bow rested on his lap, not just any bow, Marcus's bow. He agreed to do some repairs to his bowstring, which Marcus complained to have problems with.

Axel's eyes fluttered open, she inhaled deeply. Cold droplets of sweat dripped from the edges of Axel's short hair. Magnus's focus broke from the bow and travelled towards her, steadily he rose from his crisscrossed position.

"Hey, take it easy," Magnus warned her while rushing to her side. He watched her struggle to sit up, her back ached with even the slightest movement. She held the covers tightly against her chest, with a sudden realization that she was shirtless.

Magnus placed both hands up in surrender, "It wasn't my idea, I can assure you." Magnus assured Axel, rather than allowing her to get the idea.

A regretful sigh escaped her lips, "How did we get this far?" she muttered.

Magnus swallowed thickly, carefully fishing through what he was about to answer.

"We've made it this far because our anuz (ancestors) fought by our sides," Magnus replied simply. Magnus was unsure how she felt at the moment. Her expression remained unreadable, she kept minimum eye contact with Magnus. Her icy eyes hunted for Excalibur.

A frustrated growl escaped her lungs, "I never desired this power. I should have never stepped near it. And it cost Gavin's life." Axel's heart sunk to the pit of her stomach while she ranted.

"We will honour him by taking out the tyrant-"

"No, no more blood needs to be shed. Not after Gavin died-" Magnus interrupted Axel from continuing.

"Do you hear yourself? You're sparing that serpent-tongued woman after what she did to you?! She tortured you, she starved you, and she butchered your hair. All for her hygge (contentment)," Marcus replied in a frustrated voice.

"You don't understand this is what she wants, Magnus. She's tried planting a seed in my mind of retribution. I'm not going to fancy her satisfaction by returning to the Palace." Axel quarrelled with Magnus.

"Why don't you take Excalibur and toss it as far as you can in the lake. Then you're doing us all a favour." Axel added.

"Power is only given to the ones who are willing to lower themselves and pick it up. It chose you for a reason. Not because of your shared blood with your father, Uther Pendragon. But because you were the only woman in Camelot who was ready to look Tyr in the eyes, and raise your sword for justice." Magnus disclosed the argument.