𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓: 𝐁𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬.

CHAPTER 5.

Slowly, Londinium vanishes behind them. Solemnly and valour, the horse's hooves dug into the trail they followed. Her eyes traced over the never-ending fields ahead of them, and the hills that towered the forest below it.

A small ember glow came from the distance, smoke tangled within the air. Small silhouettes hung around the small campfire. From what she had observed the thieves were close. Axel could identify those were the bandits that they were looking for. Commonly they camped close by to the road, ambushing merchants and families that were unarmed.

Slaughtering those who opposed them, they fought bitter and dirty. Poisoning the ends of their blades with bacteria. A deadly bacteria that infects the gas it created. Slowly, a fever set in and then kills the infected.

"Bandits, this close to Londinium can become a hazard to our trade. Not to mention a traveller mentioned these outcasts earlier." Gavin pulled his reins back and the horse halted.

"What do you mean?" Axel questioned. She wanted to understand what the traveller mentioned about the bandits, which she can easily keep in mind.

"They fight dirty and it's said they're cursed with dangerous spirits," Gavin warned her. Dangerous spirits? At that point, she wasn't sure if this was a joke or whether he was serious.

But that would all be determined after they meet the tip of her blade. Axel jabbed the horse with the heel of her foot. The glow of the fire began to get brighter and the silhouettes appeared to be four men that sat huddled around the fire. Their weapons were in arms reach. The bandits noticed the sounds of the horse's hoofs roughly ripping the Earth's soil up.

When close enough Axel swung her sword missing the man by inches. They were fast and had the stamina of a demon. Gavin leaped off of his horse and plunged two of the bandits in the chest with his hatchets. 

The third slashed the horse Gavin lent to her. Screams whaled from the horse as it collapsed. Axel was sent flying. She covered her head and embraced herself for the impact. Her shoulder collided against the ground, scraping half of her arm. 

Small particles of dirt ascended into the air. A small whine left her lips. She gripped a fist full of soil and propped herself up onto her feet. Her eyes searched for her sword. She watched as Gavin leaped over the fire and took on two men at once.

At that moment it was almost laughable how screwed those bandits were. But she knew the outcomes of being outnumbered could lead to an easy death. Gavin blocked each of their strikes. He kicked one in the chest and sent him toppling onto the ground.

Axel scanned for her sword. She recalled the moment it escaped out of her hand. She started to search around the camp searching for her sword. She felt a sudden wave of panic wash over her when she couldn't find her sword.

Being unarmed was dangerous, there was barely a chance of survival.

Suddenly a loud horn was sounded from the distance, around a mile away, within the same field they fought in. Their attention withdraw from the fight and followed the noise. The bandits widened their eyes and panicked. It was almost as if they knew what was on the end of the noise.

"Run! The Riders are here!" The bandits screamed, warning the other two that a new danger crept from the distance. Gavin halted and locked eyes with Axel. Sweat dripped down the tips of his hair. But perhaps if Gavin didn't kill one of them earlier, they would've been able to kill the other two. They would be able to flee. His eyebrows raised, his eyes widened. Gavin gave off a horrified look. Axel turned her head and watched the bandits run for their lives.