𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖: 𝐖𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

CHAPTER 18.

LATER THAT DAY.

Dark clouds of smoke suffocated the skies above. Bloodstained the soils of Camelot. Screams of folks, fleeing for their lives, holding their children tightly to their chest. Homes began to collapse into the fires that consumed them, with unquestionable thirst.

The Blackguard ships arrived on the shores of Camelot. They began to slaughter anything in their wake. The commander began to march towards a man that collapsed onto the ground after being suffocated by smoke. The villager quickly stood up, only to cause him immediate pain. He began to limp for his life. Hot and piercing arrows continued to strike the village from above.

Embers of ash swallowed most of the air and the commander approached the man.

"I've watched your petty world slumbering. You can not defer the mark of steel, you can only surrender." his gravelly voice whispered. The Blackguard commander stomped his steel sole against the spine of the man that pleaded for his life. The commander struck his sword into the man and ended his screams of mercy.

*****

Axel held tightly onto the reins of her horse. She held a piece of cloth against her nose, as it continued to bleed. She was grateful that she didn't have to walk. Occasionally, she would question Anna why she couldn't have used a portal.

But she gave Axel the same answer; that she didn't have the energy, after fully healing Axel's wounds, and sending her to the Darklands.

She still couldn't wrap her head around the fact that something dark took flight from her. Axel deeply regrets smashing that mirror and falling into its trap. This was how the creature designed its deception. Showing her the sword from the beginning, and teasing her to travel to the Darklands.

Axel named the creature Myrrah, after all, it had a relation to the mirror it was imprisoned inside.

Anna was able to transport them half the distance, that Axel anticipated. Her eyes raised towards the bowels of the sky, as she saw thick, smouldering, smoke. Marcus's eyes widened at the sight of Camelot's desolation. His heart sunk into the depths of his stomach, unwilling to think otherwise.

Axel reacted quickly, she rode at a meteoric speed. Almost at a neck-splitting speed, towards the village. She began to descend the hill, after seeing the remaining people flee the village. Marcus, Anna, Magnus, Maxwell, and the entire Saxon village followed down to Camelot.

They brought the numbers. Earlier Anna premeditated the weeks they would border their ships on their land. Her for-sight proved to be correct, but they were too late. Myrrah sat on her throne, calling out to the army that marched closer to Londinium.

At the time Axel arrived, Camelot was destroyed.

A cloud of death hung in the air like a toxic cloud. Axel stepped off of her horse and watched as the Blackguards left at no mercy. Axel raised her hand over her mouth, and a bile began to form in her throat. Axel gagged due to the smell that soon became repulsive. She grew up in this small village and practically knew everyone. And so many she knew laid on the ground, lifelessly. No one here deserved the massacre.