𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐:𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐮𝐩 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥

CHAPTER 2.

Early that morning. The morning sun hid behind the horizon, full of vibrant colours, consisting of pastel pink and vibrant golds. Running on a couple of hours of sleep felt like nothing at all. She was nauseated and exhausted. She took longer than usual that morning. She got dressed in a white, tunic shirt and brown leather pants. Then spared some time to feast on a small chunk of bread and cured bacon that she got at the markets.

Fuelling her energy to withstand the day. She sat at the small table, downstairs within the small kitchen, that was identical to any other home in Camelot. At this point, she was grateful that Alaric took her in, and gave her tasks to earn the coffers she needed to stay alive. She cringed every time she imagined if things were different, like if Alaric didn't take her in. It would either be where she worked sun up to sundown, at a small farm outside of Camelot. Or it would be working in a Brothel.

A small chill made the hairs on the back of her neck raise when she pictured a couple of outcomes if Alaric didn't take her in. She gritted her teeth and cringed at the thought.

She jumped onto her feet and gently blew out the candle on the table. The floorboards creaked, as she made her way over to the doorway. The ground was moist and promised a perfect day for Farmer's crops. Axel carried on, ignoring people passing by her and going on with their days.

From her peripheral vision, she noticed a man who leaned against a wooden pillar to the tavern. His expression was unreadable, his hand hovered over his sword, dressed in leather, and his face concealed by a black cloak.

The aura he gave off and what she was warning told her that the Vikings were here for business. Axel ignored the anxious feeling that swelled in her belly. She continued down the dark and narrow alleyway that led to a large stone building. Carved and chiselled to its best, the building could use a renovation. But that's all she expected from the Court Of Fighters. She stepped onto the sand of the court, where Alaric stood there and accompanied Marcus and the Queen.

Queen Vortigern, the sister of the fallen King of Londinium. She was ruthless and made sure peasants suffered for their leisure for not saving the King sooner. Soon enough it would hit the core of peasants like Axel, would rot to their cores and suffer their demise. Axel froze when she locked eyes with the Queen.

Queen Vortigen wore a dark, midnight blue, gown, her hair was blonde, tied up in a messy braid, flattering and beautiful if you scratched out the high winds.

"I see you're not the solemn type, Axel Embers. I never sought that I would meet the little girl who saved the King. I would have hung or prosecuted you if you were some regular or for refusing to bend the knee, but the use of that would be futile." Queen Vortigen implied.

"Apologies." Axel bowed, fixing her wrong into one that was right.

"I've sent Alaric to gather the two of you here because I know the two of you will make sure that you meet the expectations of the task." the Queen inquired of Marcus and Echo.

So, the rumours weren't true, the peasants spoke that the Queen was crooked and deformed. Axel bit her tongue, ensuring that she wouldn't speak her thoughts out loud.

"Whatcha need? Say the word and we'll be on it." Marcus said with confidence, then crossed his arms. The Queen's icy gaze peeled off of Axel and to Marcus. That moment her eyes were soulful and dark, almost as if she admired his ambition.