𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐞𝐩

CHAPTER 9.

The night fell desperate and broken. The sky was an onyx shade, no stars shone that night. The night embraced the Earth with a velvety embrace. Anna and Axel walked back to the square of the small village. People passed by gathering in the halls for another night of tales and songs of legends and myth.

"And that's the end of our tour," Anna spoke with a small yawn.

"Seems like a nice place-" Axel's sentence was cut short when a sound of struggle and hollering was made from the distance. Both Anna and Axel exchanged a look.

Axel took off, bolting towards the hollering that continued to get louder. She followed the dirt pathway to the end of the village. Concerned whether it was a slaughtering or someone was deeply in a perilous situation. Her limbs bounced, and her chest tightened. She hoped that she wasn't too late.

Her mind started to race, like a flat battery when she saw someone with a blade close to their throat. From the distance, it was difficult to make out who they were. There were two Vikings threatening two strangers from the distance. One was knocked onto the ground, stomach meeting the rough ground beneath them. Their head was arched back. A Viking stood over them, crouched down over him. The biking held a fist full of the man's hair and his other handheld blade to the man's throat. 

Both Axel and Anna dived towards a bush. Silently they peered through the cracks of the thick brush.

The second Viking held a torch in his right hand and a sword in his left hand. The second victim stood in front of the biking with his hands up in surrender. Axel stopped for a moment when she saw ebony locks on the first victim's face.

Her heart skipped a beat, she felt goosebumps scatter her skin. She knew who these two were.

"Look we're not here to cause trouble. We're looking for a girl, with blonde hair and blue eyes. She took a nasty fall and might have injured herself-." Gavin attempted to reason with Magnus.

Magnus stared coldly down at Gavin.

"I recall taking a woman into my care. Carried her out of the forbidden pool. But there wasn't enough time to bring her back from gathering the water out of her lungs." Magnus answered. 

Marcus started to thrash around, "Liar!" Marcus snarled.

"Am I now?" Magnus tested. Magnus's guard ripped Marcus's head back again. A yelp exited Marcus's throat. His eyes squeezed tightly shut.

"If þeir try eittsvat kill þau á einn sinni." Magnus shifted from English to his mother tongue. Applying if they try something then they would kill them at once.

Magnus gave a low chuckle, "Ya? You forgot also an argr ."

Anger seethed through Magnus's veins. His jaw locked, the insult infuriated him into a flare of unstoppable fury.

Magnus laughed when the Prince cracked finally. 

She watched as his knuckles turned pale. He tightened his grip around the handle of his blade.

Axel widened her eyes, she knew what Magnus was thinking or premeditated the expected, rash, actions that he would do.

"I'm not staying here any longer to watch," Axel announced jumping, quietly from the bushes.